• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Five-Way Strat-o-Tele Switching

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve found mixed descriptions of the middle position of a Fender five-way Strat-o-Tele switching system. Some indicate the third position is middle position only and others indicate it’s neck and bridge pickups together. Does anyone have a good beat on how Fender wires these up?

Example of a listing with it...

MIke MM

Do you mean something like this?
unnamed.png

The ‘Super Switch’ is unlike a regular five-way Strat switch. This one has two wafers, each loaded with 12 solder tags that are grouped in two batches of six. So that’s 24 solder tags in total. Installed in a Tele, the ‘Super Switch’ gives you the three regular Tele tones and the series combination, plus neck and bridge in series but out of phase. The out-of-phase tone is thinner and scratchier with a hollowed-out Peter Green sort of tone.

Silver Supporting Member
Do you mean something like this?

The ‘Super Switch’ is unlike a regular five-way Strat switch. This one has two wafers, each loaded with 12 solder tags that are grouped in two batches of six. So that’s 24 solder tags in total. Installed in a Tele, the ‘Super Switch’ gives you the three regular Tele tones and the series combination, plus neck and bridge in series but out of phase. The out-of-phase tone is thinner and scratchier with a hollowed-out Peter Green sort of tone.
I don’t think that it’s as I’m referring to a Tele with three pickups.

That said, I love the setup up and it gives a four-way switch on a Tele a run for it’s money. I have a standard Tele with a three-way switch that I’ve been thinking about putting in a four-way switch. I’ll now consider the switching system you posted.

Mpcoluv

I have used the 5 tone tele wiring as shown above with good success. You make your life easier if you use the narrow super switch.

Gclef

Check out the freeway switches.

I ended up putting their 3/6 way (2 "banks" of 3 positions) switch.

1 bank is n, n+b, b
The other is n/m, m, b/m.

You can think of your strat as a tele with 3 extra positions.

Plus the action and quality of the switch is really good.

A bit expensive, yes, but it fills a niche for those guys that rarely use the middle pickup combos on a strat.

moehuh

I’ve found mixed descriptions of the middle position of a Fender five-way Strat-o-Tele switching system. Some indicate the third position is middle position only and others indicate it’s neck and bridge pickups together. Does anyone have a good beat on how Fender wires these up?

Example of a listing with it...

I think the "standard" 3-pickup-wiring is the Nashville Tele wiring with neck & bridge in parallel for the middle position:

1. Bridge
2. Middle & Bridge
3. Neck & Bridge
4. Middle & Neck
5. Neck

You can achieve this with a super switch with 2 instead of 4 full rows. That makes it fit into the control cavity easier. See the schematic attached.

There are also 3 pickup Teles, which are wired like a normal Strat. But you loose the classic neck & bridge Tele sound. Probably the reason you see this wiring less often.

With a full super switch, you can pretty much do anything you want. Just go for the narrow version as mentioned above.

Attachments

Trending Topics