Fix my delay, please!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by enocaster, Mar 28, 2008.

1. enocaster

enocaster Member

Hi folks. I was preparing a new emporium sale, looking through all the crap I don't use that I can sell to buy more cool crap, and good TGP'er that I am, I'm testing everything first to make sure it's all tip-top for my fellow gear whores.

I plug in my old DOD 585-A analog delay (the early silver and blue version, looks like this one: http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchan...oduct_Code=VE-DIGI-585A&Category_Code=VE-DIGI) and there is a substantial volume drop when it's in the signal path – enough to know something is amiss. The volume drop is the same whether the effect is on or bypassed, and the effect works just fine. There are trim pots inside, but I didn't want to move them and screw something else up. Could it be a worn out component? Bad connection? Trim pot? The thing has definitely been tinkered with because the delay time knob increases as it's turned counterclockwise, while the other 2 knobs operate traditionally. I'm hoping this is something I can do myself. Help!

2. enocaster

enocaster Member

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Has it been a REALLY long time since you used it last? What are you powering it with? I ask because I notice in the link you provided that the power supply in the box with it is a 20vdc with (if I can read it right) tip= positive, sleeve negative. So it is both an unusual voltage and polarity.
    If it has been a real long time and you are at all like me, you might have forgotten the power supply?

Otherwise, I would open up the bottom and visually inspect to see if there is grime and rust or anything on the jacks (input and output). That it is attenuating the signal even when off (does this have a buffer? If not, it has to be the jacks or soldered connections, or wires) is actually a good sign, it means it is a "global" problem, not necessarily with the effect itself.

I'd start there, also notice any burned smell or any obviously bad components once you have the back off.

If you want, before even doing that you could jiggle each side and see if it crackles or gets louder then softer, but that would be inconclusive.

4. enocaster

enocaster Member

Thanks for the reply!
    I use it every few months, but usually with a keyboard, so it's probably been this way since I've had it and I didn't notice. I am using the original power supply, it's one of those funky 1/4" tipped ones. I did open it up and check for any obvious problems, but I'll open it up again tonight and look closer, especially the jacks. I can't imagine this thing being true bypass, but I'll look again. Like I said in my first post, the signal is attenuated equally when active or bypassed, and otherwise the effect works and sounds great. The LED lights up nice and bright, so I assume it's getting enough power. I just remembered there is one of those dual 9V battery jacks inside, so I'll try running it off batteries, too.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good idea with the batteries.

I went over to Harmony Central User Reviews to see if anything stuck out as possible, saw these notes in different reviews:

Hmm, here's the tricky part, the switches in these pedals really suck. So take it to the tech, or do it yourself! I put in a old school memory man style switch in, never had a problem since! highly recommend it.

Another reviewer wrote:
    Reliability [​IMG]: 8

im on my second one.....the first one was refurbished but still lasted for about 5 years....the new one has a pot starting to slightly go bad and its kinda the same thing that went wrong with the other one....but its almost a 20 year old pedal so these things ARE going to happen.

I don't know how familiar you are with electronics, but you could short out the volume pot, so it was as if it were totally maxed and see if you get all your volume back. If you have an ohmeter (but you mention the LED lights, I assume this means when you turn it on...so the switch works at least enough for the LED, BUT...as you mention, it isn't dead, so there could be something holding the signal level down...something almost shorted but not quite)

I also checked in DOD 585 (not 585A) after and...

Reliability [​IMG]: 9

this is one of the toughest steel boxes i've ever seen an effect housed in. it still doesn't compare to the big danos, but then again nothing does. as i mentioned above, the 585 (without an a) has a very crappy rubber switch, which may lead to reliability problems, so be sure to get yourself a 585a.

585 = 9
    585a = 10

and

Reliability [​IMG]: 9

The only dependability problem is that sometimes when I step on the membrane switch, nothing happens, so I have to check the LED and step again. A solid cast metal brick that looks/feels about as sturdy as you can get, although I haven't looked at the insides. I feel secure gigging without a backup, but then again, you can never have too many analog delays (at least I can't)!

It seems like (even though the one guy said the "A" was better, in the A they complained also) the switch might be a culprit. Here also you could test if you can get to the switch and jumper it always on, just to test if it is the bad component. No one mentioned loss of volume, and the great thing (you should read these reviews if you haven't yet, one guy REALLY regrets getting rid of his because he hasn't found as good a one yet)
    is the reviews are actually fantastic for this pedal.

Reviews here:

(585A)
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/DOD/585-A+Analog+Delay/10/1

and
    (585)
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/DOD/585+Analog+Delay/10/1

You should refer to these if you sell it. Many people impressed with it!

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have a few of the original Performer series pedals. All of them sound very good, but I too have found that the switches suck. I bought these back in 1979 and eventually threw out the stereo chorus broke and none of the techs around where I lived even would look at it. I suggest you get some De-Oxit and blast the pots and jacks. The switching is solid state so there is probably no problem with oxidation in that.

TheGrooveking

7. bduguay

bduguay Member

Scott at axe(see sig) has a distortion pedal from the performer series that was demonstrating the same problem as the OP's delay. Scott gave it to me for a lookyloo.
    I couldn't find anything blatantly wrong so I ended up redoing all of the solder joints which gave me the chance to seat all of the components properly.
    Between that and giving all of the pots, jacks, and connectors (including the big connector from the board to all of the pots) a thorough cleaning, the problem went away and the pedal works great!
    B.