Fix ugly scratch in my SG finish

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bluesdude6, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

It's a little more than a scratch in the finish, its a little deep slightly into the wood right down beside the bridge. Is there any way to work on this other than a complete re-finish of the guitar. I've heard some say fill it with crazy glue and the sand and buff, but I don't know the right grit of sandpaper and so on to use. this guitar is a '97 Gibson SG standard, vintage cherry finish. any help would be much appreciated.

2. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

honestly, it will be a major pia. it is what I call a love mark, it just gives it character. I have heard from most sources that you will probably make it look much worse by trying t fix it.

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

this thread needs pictures,

anyway if the scratch bothers you I would take it to a luthier or tech and ask them what it would take to repair the scratch, some scratches are very easy to repair, some harder to repair. but usually when we try to repair them ourselves we just make it worse.

5. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Don't use CA glue--it makes a great filler and is excellent for filling pores but will likely not give you the results you want on a finished guitar. I would use a heated lacquer stick--cabinet makers are experts at using this and making it blend like glass with the surrounding finish. If you can't use or find a lacquer stick I'd leave it alone.

6. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

thanks for those replys, yeah I may just leave it, but the lacquer stick sounds maybe worth a try, where would I get one?

7. Structo

Structo Member

I believe that SG is a nitro lacquer finish so super glue is out.
    It works well for poly finishes but it is harder than nitro so when you try to sand it and buff it you will end up sanding the lacquer.

If the color isn't disturbed too much I would just drop fill it with some nitro lacquer until it is filled just above the existing finish.

Then wait a week or so for it to cure and carefully wet sand it down with 1000 working up to 2000. Then buff and polish it.

8. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Posting a picture may help.

9. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Bring it to a pro. It is a nice guitar, and a fairly expensive guitar...so it is not the one to "learn" on. Having said that...I fixed a couple of large dings on an Epi G400 with red nail polish (lots of coats to fill in large dent) and clear cote for nails. Came out pretty good IMHO....but that poly. I would not touch it myself if it was a real Gibson AND lacquer.

10. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Consider it a start to a natural relicing process :AOK

There are crazy people out there that actually pay for marks just like that :NUTS

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I wouldn't worry about it.

12. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

It's not that simple. I used to work as a furniture repairman for moving company claims damages, and much of the work was purely cosmetic. "Burning in", as it's called, uses very hot knives and it takes skill, which comes through experience, and without it you can make a huge mess of the guitar's finish.

Mahogany is basically a dark red, so you can find touch up pens in that color in most paint departments. But you may find that hitting it with a little clear finishing oil may hide it enough to satisfy you. That's all I would do if it were mine.

13. reeced

reeced Member

If the scratch goes into the wood i.e. if the bare wood is exposed, then you could try "lifting" it a bit so the scratch is not so deep. To do this you need heat and a damp cloth. I've successfully done this using a mini (quilting) iron
    [​IMG]

If you search for Clover Mini Iron in either craft shops or Ebay - cost about $20

14. weeladdie

weeladdie Member

Try putting a little oil in the scratch, it will darken enough that you probably won't notice it as much....

15. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

Thanks for all those posts, I'll just sit & think on it awhile, thanks.

16. Maxer

Maxer Member

Pictures, pictures, pictures, please.

17. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

Here's a picture of my SG Scratch[​IMG]

18. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

Whoops, how do I get my picture on here?

19. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

Can't figure out how to add a pic. when you hit add Image, it asks for a URL site, my pics are in my computer obviously. Can't figure it.

20. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Need to use photobucket. Download pic there then copy and paste it here.