Fixed Bias 2-EL84 amp suggestions needed for tube matching

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 59Vampire, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have a boatload of anos and nos el84s that I need to match. My previous matcher was an old bedrock but I blew it up a while back and stopped matching.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive amp that fits the bill that I can cannibalize for testing purposes?

Thanks.

2. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Change any cathode biased amp to fixed by swapping the cathode resistor/s for zener/s, and then add a couple of 1 ohm cathode current sensing resistors.
    The zener/s would need a similar dissipation rating to the resistor/s they replace.

3. 59Vampire

Thank you but I am not capable of altering anything! Using a bias probe is one thing.......

pdf64 likes this.
  4. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Pro or Blues Junior then?

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  5. 59Vampire

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    ^^^ This. Unless you're willing/able to modify an amp, this is your best bet.

7. 59Vampire

I have read that these amps run tubes very hot. Would that be an issue when matching tubes? Keep in mind I am not a tech but can read a meter with the bias rites that I have. Thanks.

Can anyone build a testing rack?

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Probably not an issue for a one minute, or less, test since these amps seem to run for 100s of hours as is.

Of course, but I can almost guarantee you won't like the R&D, build, and test cost.

Steppin' Wolfe and theon like this.
  9. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

define inexpensive.

10. 59Vampire

Inexpensive? Lol. Certainly not 500. I just need something to match tubes. I saw pro juniors going for 250ish.

I just need a functional amp that will not crap out and cause me to spend money to have it fixed. I just need to match a large amount of nos and anos el84s I have been hoarding

11. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

So would a fixed bias single-ended little power section work for you? Will you basically just be loading a tube in it, then checking where it biased out? I'm thinking something could be put together from junk drawer/spares parts that would serve for that purpose pretty cheaply. So all you'd really need would be a power supply and the output stage?

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  12. JJman

JJman Member

Epiphone valve jr. It is SE and less than $100 used. Just use a good voltmeter and measure the cathode dc once warm for a while. Tubes with the same cathode dc in there should be dc matched in a PP amp. If you use a PP amp for matching, you have to leave one tube in side A, changing out the tubes in only side B each time. Otherwise you're changing an extra variable. Either approach should work for matching.

Malcolm Irving likes this.
  13. 59Vampire

Jeff and JJman,

I dont think a single ended amp would work for matching. I am not a tech, but my research in the past, and in all fairness, I cannot remember the specifics, told me that in order to accurately match by plate current I would need a fixed bias 2/4 tube amp. I previously used a bedrock four el84 amp but blew it up a few years back and sold it off as a project.

I am under the imnpression that running a single tube does not accurately reflect the measurements needed for matching.

PLEASE correct me if i am wrong beefore i buy an amp. I have a vht with the el84 converter i can use but again, I do not think that is the way to go unless i am wrong. Which of course wouldnt be the first time!