1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Fixing a dead spot on neck?????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 69strat, Oct 12, 2006.

1. 69strat

69strat Member

When I bend at the 15th fret, the note dies. Can I just file that little spot or should I get the whole neck done?????

2. 69strat

69strat Member

I,m sorry, Yea, I think its a fret.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I had a dead spot on one of the jumbo frets of my SRV Warmouth Fatback neck.
    I little file and then a polish..........in my case it worked flawlessly.:AOK
    That's just an expirience I had.
    Really try to locate the source. If it is a fret, just file very slowly.
    Hope that helps,
    Mass

4. 69strat

69strat Member

Can I use a little sand paper ,or do I need a file?

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I bought a needle file set from the local hardware store for $12.00.
    What I did was gently move in a circular motion, all the while trying the dead spot until it was rectified.
    Afterwards, a polish gauge sandpaper to smooth the finish on the fret.
    Write back if you need more help.

Peace,
    Mass

6. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

One way to check for a fret being too high is to get something rigid and straight and of a length that it spans 3 frets (this changes as you move up the neck obv) and then place the straight edge on 3 frets, parallel with the neck. If the middle fret is too high you'll be able to rock the straight edge back and forth like a see-saw. This can help indicate 'how far to go' while you're filing down the high fret.

7. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Remember that the culprit fret is the next one up, not the dead one.
    I would think that a pro fret dress and setup, on a neck such as that would be a good investment. If you are nickle and diming it on your own, it'll probably pop up elswhere pretty quickly.

I'm very much a DIY type of person, but man I'll be the first to admit, a great pro dress and setup is money well spent, then it plays like a new guitar but better, and you are done with it for possibly years.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Before you start any fretwork run your finger under the string at that area. I had the same thing and it turned out to be a bad string - it had a dink on the underside.

9. 69strat

69strat Member

Man!!!! Thats a new one..... I .ll check it out but, it only happens when I bend it up.

10. 69strat

69strat Member

11. mojo69

mojo69 Supporting Member

i would raise the action a little until it goes away - if that doesnt work for you - then get a pro fret job.

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I agree...

13. 69strat

69strat Member

I,ll try.... Thanks for all the advice, guys.

14. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If you have one high fret it could also be reseated with a technical tap from a light, soft faced hammer. If you aren't comfortable doing this take it to a technician.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Actually, it can help. I've fixed many a neck with a high spot. Your frets don't need to all have the same crown height, just be in the same plane at the crown.

16. fumbler

fumbler Member

So you're hearing a little sitar-like twang before you bend it and then the note dies? That string is definitely "fretting out" on a fret higher up the neck (probably the very next one.)

+1 to the advice above. You could try raising the action a tiny bit. A minor truss-rod adjustment may be in order, depending on where on the neck this is happening.

If you still want to have the fret filed I'd take it to a pro if you've never worked on frets before (it sounds like you haven't). That is not a cheap neck you've got.

hth,
    -fumbler-

17. alderbody

alderbody Member

How about a ...PJ? (Plek Job)

;)