• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fixing a Hole

mrbungel

With the Beatles 50th coming up,
I've been listening to them (more than usual) lately.

"Fixing a Hole"
Amazing song, that entire Sgt Pepper album blew everyone away.

Too bad Ringo was such a lousy drummer...LOL!!!

fishleehooker

Silver Supporting Member
I just got that mono box that came out some time ago, and told my wife how much I love that song. That whole album has a vibe that is something more than psychedelic. Like falling in the rabbit hole, but the rabbit is a musical genius.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Great tune!

I love the clangy guitar licks.

mrbungel

Great tune!

I love the clangy guitar licks.
Yep, the other day, someone mentioned
"jangly" guitar sounds.
"Fixing a Hole" is definitely clangy AND jangly.
God bless George Harrison
and the Byrds, Tom Petty and 12 strings.

b15fliptop

For the uninitiated, that was a joke.
I'm 65, grew up with the Beatles.
Ringo is one of the best drummers in history.

Try reading this

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1382483

and I'll change your diaper.

Geeeeez,
why do I have to explain that??????????????
Fair enough. I guess I haven't been following all of your other threads as well as I should. Because stalkers do that.

Plus, the "Ringo sucks" threads come up everywhere, all the time, so maybe it isn't so far fetched to think that you were being serious.

And I'm out of diapers already, and on to Pull-Ups. Mommy, wow! I'm a big kid now!

Flogger59

Yep, the other day, someone mentioned
"jangly" guitar sounds.
"Fixing a Hole" is definitely clangy AND jangly.
God bless George Harrison
and the Byrds, Tom Petty and 12 strings.
Actually, a lot of Pepper leads are Paul. George was diving into the sitar, and apparently not that interested.

Didn't they record that album on four tracks?
They bounced between two four tracks, and actually synced two of them together for A Day In The Life. That was the first time two machines were synced.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
I remember a group of us dropping the needle for the 1st time on that LP; just unwrapped it.
Fixing A Hole, whew!! Good memories.

Flogger59

I'm pretty certain this one was recorded with the eight track recorder/console that is still in the studio today. Al DiMeola's latest Beetle tribute album has a picture of him standing at it.
Pepper was done using the REDD57 tube console and two Studer J37 four tracks. Some White Album tracks were done at Trident, which was 8 track, as was Olympic at the time. EMI had taken delivery of 8 track machines, but they had yet to go through the EMI evaluation process and weren't put into service until the Beatles tripped over one in the hallway during the White Album sessions, but even then, the console couldn't handle it (four buss), and there was a problem with monitoring off tape and doing overdubs in sync. Some songs were recorded on 8 track at EMI for that album, but it was a chore. A lot f the time during White Album sessions the 4 track tapes were dumped over to 8 track, but just so that they could continue working on songs started at EMI, but finished at Trident.

By the time of recording Abbey Road there was a new console, the TG12345, which was designed for 8 track, and the sync head issues had been worked out. Dimeola used the TG12345. Lenny Kravitz and Mark Knopfler own REDD57s.

Last edited:

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
For me, it has always been one of my favorite cuts. Amazing guitar sound for the main figure. Light guage guitar strings aren't going to sound like that no matter what you do.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom