Fixing Pedals to Pedalboards??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnh, Apr 6, 2008.

1. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

What do you guys use to fix your pedals to your boards. I don't like the idea of sticking velcro to my pedals to I'd like to investigate somerthing else. Has anyone worked out a way to use cable ties to fix them on. Or rubber bands? These are things I seem to remember seeing on forums before, nut typically I paid no attention to them until now!

Any photos you have would be much appreciated.

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

I like to use the bike chain links.

3. brianf

brianf Member

I used to feel the same way about the velcro and now do use it on every pedal. I don't velcro a pedal until I'm sure it's a keeper and not going back or being put up for resale. I have seen the bike link thing and that is cool.

I also saw a posting where a guy made up bottom plates of some sort of thin sheet metal the identical pattern to the pedal bottom. He then undid the pedal screws and put the plate on top of the bottom, then put the screws back in. Now velcro the metal plate.

But since using velcro even on high end pedals, I have yet to have one pull off the paint. Just remove very slowly. Some folks soak the velcro in a solvent before pulling off.

brianf

brianf

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I do this too, works great.

It is a hassle if you want to be able to change pedals around quickly, but when you lock in on the pedal set that you'll use for the foreseeable future, this method keeps your pedals on your board solidly!

5. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

I have seen people use a heavy cardboard sheet and use those ties that the army and people use to hand cuff people. I forget what theyre called. Just punch a hole in the board and but the ties through.

6. RockDC

RockDC Member

I put peg board on the bottom of my pedal board case and run zip ties through the holes and around the pedals... I think its brilliant although on some pedals the zip ties can rub off some paint.

7. RockDC

RockDC Member

This is kinda what I was talking about...

8. r080

r080 Member

For something that you don't want to velcro, and that is in the Hammond style box, you can use long screws and attach it through the back of the board. I did this with my Memory Lane. I bought four 1" long 6-32 screws and used the bottom plate as a drilling template. I would check the screw size first, though. Some enclosures may use 8-32, or even something metric.

9. Goofball

Goofball Member

+1,000,000

I used velcro for years but eventually all the moving and the temperature changes would cause the pedals to come loose. (Sometimes the velcro would stay but the glue would give out on the back of the pedal). After one too many messes and with only a few minutes to get set up for a set, i decided to look for something better too.

i bought one of those "pedal mount" kits off of ebay and then realized it is just bicycle links. go to your friendly neighborhood bike shop, get one of those cheap link removal tools (mine cost $8, i think), and some chain, and you're in business. The shop i went to just gave me some old chain - like 15 feet of it.

it took me an hour or so to bust it all apart but now i have enough links to last me. and yeah, like the guys said above, you can't move pedals around that easily but once you have a set up and are using it regularly, it takes a load off your mind to see your board ready to go everytime you open it.

Doing this - and getting one of those roadie carts - are the two best investments i've made for quick 'n easy load-in/set up/tear down.

now if i could only play a little better...:D

10. johnh

Does anyone have photos of the bike chain thing. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. The good thing is that I mountain bike too so I have spare chains and links lying about. But how do you use the bicycle chain to hold your pedals down?

Sorry for my dumbness.

11. johnh

Ah - I get it now. Thanks guys.

12. brianf

brianf Member

So once you attach the bike links to the pedal, then what? Do you use zip ties to the pedal board?

Yes, pix please.

brianf

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I don't! What the hell is the "bike chain thing?!?" :confused:

When I first read the post I thought it was a joke.

Scotch "Double Lock" is a great type of "velcro" to use. Very good grip.

14. coreybox

coreybox Member

Screw one end of a single link (from a bike chain) into the pedal. Just place the normal screw through it and close the pedal like normal. Then you have a little tab sticking out, that you can screw into your pedal board surface.

I really like this method, but there are several problems. The most obvious is you can't easily change anything. Thats not much a problem for a board that you are sure about though.

The biggest drawback to me is space. I need more space with this method. With velco you can really pack them in there. But what if a lead fails? Often times, there isn't enough room to unplug a cable from a pedal. With velcro though, you can pop the pedal off and unplug/replace the cable. If your pedals are screwed into the board, you can't do this. Thus, I have to space the pedals with enough room to complete unplug the leads.

So, I know longer use this method. I bought some 3M dual lock off ebay, and I think it's pretty good. There is still some 'wiggle' in the pedals, but the stuff is very strong. Sometimes it's difficult to pull off.

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Here are a couple of close-ups from my board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the bigger Rocktron Banshee, I used plumbers strapping.

16. gozo

gozo Member

Velcro can work very well if used correctly. Most importantly is to use the large hook velcro. You may see it as "Velcro extreme" or something along those lines. It's much more agressive than what you find on a pair of shoes or a pocket flap. Also prep the surface of the pedal by cleaning with alcohol to get rid of any oil or dirt. Much less chance of it falling loose. For a DIY project Lowes and Home Depot have some indoor/outdoor carpet for not mucho dinero that takes the hook of the Velcro almost as well as what's provided. Cables wired from underneath if possible will also provide some tension to hold things in place. For my wah I still screw it to my board.

17. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I use a molecular rearanger laser...it actually fuses any two surfaces together on a molecular level...wood, plastic, metal, fiber glass...any two materials and it wont EVER come off without re-applying the laser...

it costs about $245,999,000 per pedal and it HAS to be done on the black market...but it works...;)

18. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Industrial Strength Velcro...comes in black or white, sold by Home Depot.

19. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I've been thinking of using those minature bungee cords and drilling a hole in the bottom of the pedalboads and attach the hooks on the bungee cords to small hooks or eye screw-type things on the underside of the board. If you have even small rubber feet on the board you should have enough clearance.

20. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Cables ties for me, (especially great for bigger devices like my LXP-1). I just drill a hole and run it around. For my pedal train style board I attached nylon cable clamps to the bottom of the pedals and ran the ties through them.