Fixing up my 64 Fender Princeton 6G2, need your advice

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Ellery, May 30, 2015.

1. Ellery

Ellery Member

[1964 Fender Princeton 6G2]: Had this amp since 1994, bought it for nothing. Come to find out it's a collector's item now.

It works great. The only thing not original is the speaker. I have, however, come to the conclusion that there is more potential here, if it were refreshed a little bit. I am not experienced in this field, and those who are urge me to find a good vintage amp tech to do the work, instead doing it myself (which is my first inclination).

>Any recommendations on a reputable amp tech? I live near Anaheim, CA (I actually bought this amp from a local in Fullerton, who lived a few blocks away from Leo Fender's old shop, which is now a museum), and I am looking for someone in my area who is qualified.

>I would also like some input from you, the vintage amp enthusiast, on what to shoot for. This is my game plan so far:

-Remove the infamous "death cap", bypass the ground switch, and install a 3-prong power cord;
    -Test and replace the electrolytic capacitors;
    -Inspect tubes and replace as necessary;
    -Test all other components, replacing as necessary, keeping the unit as original as possible;
    -Find an appropriate premium speaker to substitue the cheap replacement in there now.

Any input will be appreciated, thank you!

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Sent you a PM with some info...

Ellery likes this.
  3. zenas

zenas Member

Testing electrolytics that old is something idiots do. If your tech isn't going to just replace all of them move on.

All other parts only get replaced if they are bad. And on a 60s Fender that's working there's rarely any need for much replacements.

Well if you live where the humidity is high you might have a few resisters getting noisy in there.

4. Ellery

Ellery Member

Dry as a bone here, not worried about humidity at all. Actually live very close to the location where it was made.

5. Ellery

Ellery Member

Thank you!

6. zenas

zenas Member

Pretty dry where I live to and things freeze dry in the winter.

Those are great amps by the way! Wish I won't have given the one I had when I was a kid away.

7. Ellery

Ellery Member

In years past I came so close to trading it in, for nothing. Now that I know what it is, I think it's worth it to fix it up to perfection, if anything to make up for my ignorance. Plus now that I'm older I can really appreciate the understated qualities of a vintage piece like this, I see it in a whole new light.

8. Ellery

Ellery Member

Oh and by the way this is Southern California, nothing freezes here, ever.