FLAC and iTunes?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by soulohio, Dec 16, 2009.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

can't iTunes open these FLAC files natively? What is the deal? I got the Led Zepplin show from tapecity and can't open with iTunes and want to keep the sound files FLAC...

2. funkycam

funkycam Member

flac is a file format like mp3 or wav. itunes does not support it.
    you can either convert to wav or mp3 (& still keep the originals) or get a player that works with FLAC.
    (hint google flac player)

3. Lance

Lance Member

Hmm, do you have the latest version of iTunes? I am pretty sure you can convert .flac to .acc, which is Apples equivalent to lossless .flac. Or, is it .aac? One of the two.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Lack of support for many other (popular) formats, yet another reason iTunes stinks.

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

what is suggested to keep the FLAC files? what can I play them with?

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

7. Lance

Lance Member

What he said. :agree

My Cowon A3 can read/play almost any file extension you can think of, including the following...

Excellent Codec Support and Sound Quality

We've grown accustomed to the MP3, WMA, and AAC compatibility that most portable media players offer, but Cowon went the extra mile by packing the A3 with a laundry list of codecs: OGG Vorbis, OGG Flac, Apple Lossless, AAC+, AC3, True Audio, MusePack, WavPack, G.726, PCM, and Monkey Audio. Even if you never bother with the more obscure (but higher-quality) formats, Cowon's JetEffect processing technology and 10-band equalizer produces stellar audio. When we loaded the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Dani California," the ripped MP3 bounced with a fresh vibrancy, even through the included stock earbuds.

8. Lance

Lance Member

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

First I'm hearing of it. Looks cool! You use it in your car? I'm looking (in desperate need of) something for my car.

10. Lance

Lance Member

Unfortunately, the A3 has been discontinued. So, you can't get one with a larger drive like 60 - 80 gigs. However, they have come out with the new S9 Curve. Which has an AMOLED touch screen. Not sure if you are familiar with that technology, but those crazy Koreans went down to the deeper depths of the ocean, and snagged a few fish that are bioluminescent. They examined that chemical cell interaction which causes these fish to emit their own light, and have applied that to an LED screen. This is why the newer Samsung tv's pretty much blow most others away with brightness and clarity. You can plug the S9 into anything that has an 1/8", or RCA jacks, for playback, or for recordability. I think the S9 comes with a 32 gig drive, or something like that. Yes, you can capture streaming audio as well!

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

I neglected to mention that I am using a MAC laptop

12. Kappy

Kappy Member

See if you can find a way to install these on Mac:

Amarok (1.4 version, the 2.x version isn't as good, oddly enough)
    Rhythmbox
    Banshee
    XMMS

They are free, and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall, they're pretty cool. You might have to google to find out how to install them though, since they are mostly for use on Linux and FreeBSD (e.g. the Darwin kernel, Mac's base system).

Good luck!

Dave

13. Lance

Lance Member

Ok, dl/install Jet Audio. Convert the files to .wav. iTunes should then recognize them, and do your bidding from there.

14. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

i think winamp could also read flac files. also VLC player read many files type.

15. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

i use xACT to convert my flacs to AIFF, it makes ZERO sense to convert them to AAC - that's a compressed format, why get a FLAC in the first place?

by the way, convert to AIFF, not .WAV - wav doesn't retain the metadata under the Mac OS, unlike AIFF.

16. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

X2. I have close to 4TB's of music in FLAC format, on external hard drives, and this is what I use to listen to it on my computer. I use Winamp to burn FLAC files to cd if I want shows in that format.

17. soulohio

soulohio Member

thanks to you, that's what I used... listening to the Zep show now... thanks Donnie for da show!

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

^ +1. xACT is the way to go. If you wish you can keep the FLAC files after you convert to AIFF.

19. JPF

JPF Member

+1. Works fine for me - and I hate lossy compression. Storage is so cheap it doesn't make sense to me to convert to anything other than AIFF, which iTunes supports fully.

20. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree, although I switched to XLD for conversion (be sure to set AIFF in the prefs). Direct DL link is here:
    http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/xld-gui-20091212.tar.bz2