Flanger find

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dpgreek, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Need help finding a flanger. Personally, finding the right flanger has been tough over the years. I've tried so many... and I just want a solid flanger that can

1. can cop vintage sounds (mistress / mxr )
    2. mesh great with distortion and not totally take over the guitar tone
    3. have a level / output knob so I don't have to deal with the volume drop or boost

What I've tried: Mobius, Strymon Orbit, MXR 117 reissue, Vintage MXR 117, MXR Micro Flanger, HBE Frostbite, ADA Pedalboard Friendly, Stereo Electric Mistress, TC Vortex, Toadworks Barracuda, Mr. Black Tunnelworm, Mooer ElecLady, BYOC custom built, T-Rex Twister, Subdecay Starlight, TC SCF, Hartman Fulltone Choralflange and Empress Nebulus

What I would reconsider because I liked but pricey: TC SCF, Choralflange

What I want to try: Alexander F.13, Source Audio Mercury

Any recommendations within the parameters would be great.

2. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Looks like just about the only kings you haven't tried are:

Maxon FL-9
    Maxon FL-301
    Maxon Jet Flanger
    Boss HF-2
    Boss BF-2
    Foxrox TZF2

Though if you've been through all of those and can't find one you like... Then you might not be looking for a flange at all.

As great as the flangers I listed above are I doubt they are going to make you happy if the others haven't.

ThinPaperWings and Frankee like this.
  3. dpgreek

Don't get me wrong....a lot I tried were fantastic...but either the sound take over or volume issue was enough to be a deal breaker. I've heard great things about Maxon, Boss HF-2 and Boss BF. Will maybe have to give those a whirl. Foxrox looks cool but zero through isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks for chiming in.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The Foxrox is exceptional. It's "zero through" feature is switchable

jimmycupo and dpgreek like this.
  5. dpgreek

Good to know. Can it cop the vintage stuff?

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You didn't like the ADA PBF? It's still on my board after I switched it to the right harmonics setting for me (which is flipped from the big box reissue, ha). It has output level too, which is nice.

analogmike likes this.
  7. dpgreek

I didn't dig it like I thought I would. Not for me I guess. And to be honest, the level control has to be almost dimed to be unity.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  8. Unchained81

Unchained81 Member

MXR Micro Flanger. Fantastic sound, easy as hell to dial in a great tone, and no volume drop or increase. Can't say enough about this pedal. Plus it's size and price make it an easy choice.

MattLeFevers and dpgreek like this.
  9. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

boss hf-2 is my favourite flanger of all time. no volume drop, versatile, and sweet.

10. bluenova

bluenova Member

I also really liked the HF-2, but I eventually settled on a phaser instead.

11. BootRoots

BootRoots Supporting Member

The micro flanger has a pretty sizable volume boost which is my least favorite thing about it. That said its still on my board.

dpgreek likes this.
  12. Unchained81

Unchained81 Member

Sizeable volume boost??? News to me. I use it every day.

13. tdump

tdump Member

I just got one of these. I haven't got much time with it, and have only played it through my little practice amp which is no way to judge a pedal. I'm hoping to hook it up for band practice this week. What didn't you dig about it?

14. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

My vote would be to hunt down an Ibanez FL99 Classic Flange. They run about $200 used, typically in really good shape. With the 'dual' footswitch and the 'filter' option, it's got several sounds to go with.
    Pricey and large are the only downsides.

I've got through 2 or 3 in the last 20yrs. Finally made my peace with it and decided I wanted the MXR (jetplane) sound, plus a 'sweet' flange like the Ibanez FL-301DX or Electric Mistress.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  15. dpgreek

I tried the Micro and experienced the same in getting a little bit of a boost too.

Harder to dial in than most flangers, for me. I think the ADA is more for use with clean tones bc with dirt, it didn't achieve the good resonance sweep that I look for and like on most other regular flangers. ADA is its own flavor of flanging which I guess I'm not a fan of. I also didn't like paying in November and getting it in almost April..but that has nothing to do with the flanger itself.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Zoom MS 70 cdr? great little pedal and the flangers are really good.

17. 71strat

71strat Member

Although BIG, and also way more than just a Flanger.

The MOOG MF108M Clusterflux is the KING of Flange/Chorus + the ability to control ALL Parameters via EXP Pedals.

The Clusterflux has EVERYTHING that you mentioned you wanted in a Flanger.

1. can cop vintage sounds (mistress / mxr ).... Clusterflux Blows them out of the Water...

2. mesh great with distortion and not totally take over the guitar tone. The Clusterflux has a Really Powerful Drive Section..... 28db of Drive and can eliminate many times for an outboard Drive/Distortion. Can be everything from crystal clean, to down right nasty. Can also be used as a Stand Alone Drive. But does work great will other pedals.

3. have a level / output knob so I don't have to deal with the volume drop or boost

Aint no volume drop on this baby.

Like I said, it has 28db of Drive, Mix , Output,

Allows for -7db - +28db Attenuation.

Also has 5!!! EXP Jacks. !!!!

IMHO nothing is even close to this Flanger. No less all the other stuff it does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dpgreek

I wish man, but that thing is enormous. Is the mini moog version comparable in tone?

19. 71strat

71strat Member

Yes it is... It just doesnt have all the Parameters the big 1 has, but the voicing for standard use are extremely close.

Same with the Delay.

Minifooger vs MF104M.... Very similar for basic sound. Mini Delay does have a Drive Section.

The Minifooger Flanger doesn't have a Drive section, but I would assume it doesn't have a volume drop.

I'm also sure it would probably play nice with other Drive pedals.

Also while it might be big, it can take the place of several pedals.

Its a Vibrato, Flange, Chorus, Drive, Modulation.

The Moog is also second to none as a Vibrato. The Mayer Voodoovibe+ and the MOOG are King as far as I'm concerned.

20. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Did you place the MXR Micro Flanger before or after dirt? I have never had the slightest volume boost - in fact, overall it's very subtle the way I have it dialed in - but I make sure to keep it before any overdrive or distortion. Placed after the dirt pedals it does sound crazy.

critter74 likes this.