Flanger Hoax but smaller?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by x-ray specs, Feb 13, 2012.

1. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Anything else out there like the Flanger Hoax, but in a smaller more pedal board friendly size? Saveable presets would be a +++, but not completely necessary. Thanks.

2. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I guess the FH is really one of a kind. I wouldn't say the Jack Deville is even close to the FH. Eventide? No thanks. Still looking. :)

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

The tc electronic vortex has a tzf setting. Whether its comparable to the hoax I have no idea

4. hanales

hanales Member

The flanger hoax is a very unique pedal, and so out there that I doubt there is a huge market for similar devices. Let's lobby for a hoax 2, like the pog2, smaller footprint with presets!

5. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Yes, that would be a good idea.

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I just got one, and can agree that there is NOTHING out there like it. Part of me wants to sell it right away, and part of me thinks I'll be finding new sounds years from now with it.

A true paradox and conundrum rolled up in a bagel.

7. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip

I also had a love/hate relationship with mine. Ended up selling it, since it's still in production and I can replace it if I miss it, so far I haven't missed it. I think it'd be great to use in a studio setting, but live it just had too many knobs to be keep track of for different settings. I made settings sheets for mine by xeroxing the box and just marking the knob settings with a sharpie on those, but that was completely impractical for jamming with other people. Also I hated the wall wart.

8. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

Yes! I loved mine but really need something with presets. My Modfactor has been a great fill in though.

9. phasorjunkie

phasorjunkie Member

There is NO other pedal in the world quite like the Flanger Hoax. It is both pure genius and sheer madness in the same metal box. The love/hate I have for this device is hard to put into words. At times I've been totally entranced by it's etherial beauty. At other times I've been so frustrated with it that I wanted to throw it under a bullet train. I've gotten absolutely gorgeous sounds out of it that I could never again duplicate even though I wrote down all of the knob/switch settings in great detail and also took a photo of the dial positions! I've bought, sold and re-bought this pedal three times. I've finally come to accept the fact that I somehow need this strange electronic beast in my life. It is what it is. A sonic singularity. Accept it. Enjoy it. Life is short.

10. muddy

muddy Member

i keep my fh taped over the knobs to protect my tzf settings, & the whole thing mounted upside-down under my pedalboard. i run it to a loooper mounted atop the board. i'm REALLY jonesin' for jack's new tunnelworm, a tzf dedicated, boss-sized flanger! if i had one, it'd free up the fh so i could play around with it's phase-shifting capabilities, see if it can be manipulated into mutron bi-phase territory...

ml

11. phasorjunkie

phasorjunkie Member

Now that's a photo I'd love to see.

12. muddy

muddy Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ml

13. phasorjunkie

phasorjunkie Member

Brilliant!

14. damnuandurdog

damnuandurdog Member

I have no idea what to do with my Flanger Hoax.

15. phasorjunkie

phasorjunkie Member

Best way to explore the depths of the Flanger Hoax: Put it on the table where you can reach the controls easily. Plug guitar into FH. Plug FH into amp. Switch on FH. Play a chord. Twist dials on FH. Find cool phaser sounds. Play more. Twist dials more. Find groovy flanger sounds. Dial in everything just right and get awesome dual tzf flanger sounds. Freak out.

16. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Sell to me.