Flanger - MXR 117 or BYOC

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrmgtrplyr, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I have been wanting a flanger and I have done a ton of research and listened to a bunch of clips and I was almost ready to buy the MXR 117 when I stumble on the BYOC flanger. I want a flanger that is very organic sounding and more on the full round side than the thin tin can sound side. I want to play Police stuff as well as the more heavy distorted rock tunes, but a great chorus sound is important. I like the lushness of the EHX stuff for some things but found the MXR a better all in one box for chorus to jets. I have listened to the Strymon clips and played a vortex but they still seem a little sterile and digital to me. I have researched the BYOC flanger but there is very little info and only like 2 youtube clips that were not a lot of help.

So, does anyone have a lot of experience with the BYOC Flanger? can it really nail the MXR 117 sounds plus more? Is it nice and organic and more on the round, blend into the mix vibe of flanger, rather than the thin tin can? Does anyone have direct comparison experience between the BYOC and MXR 117 or video/audio clips?

Thank you in advance for any insight or advise. I am ready to buy now, just stuck on which way to go, and the BYOC has really got me rethinking the MXR 117 if it sounds as good as the MXR.

2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'd wait for the Madbean version of the 117 (Colossus) coming out soon.

3. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

Bucksears, do you have any info on the Madbean version of the 117? I have never heard of it, can you tell me a little more? Thanks

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

He builds very good clones (or his take on whatever pedal it's inspired by). It's not out yet, though. The PCB will be released in Feb.

I'm in the process of ordering the PCB of his Electric Mistress clone. I've already built his Box of Rock and Zendrive versions; didn't like the BOR, but still have the Zen.

5. markmantle

markmantle Member

the byoc flanger is great. organic and chewy sounding... has a real cool option to go into manual mode and choose a position of the flange effect and just stay locked on it... hard to explain, but actually pretty useful for just adding a cool effect to your guitar.

Anyways, I think its one of the best BYOC pedals, and I have built a lot.

6. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

The 117 is a great Flanger that sounds fantastic with dirt but remember that it does require its own 18v adapter.

7. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I've had several flangers over the past couple years. The 117 is a nice one, but the BYOC can do the same tones (and more), in my opinion. The BYOC also gets closest to the Ross as any I've heard.

And yes, I agree that the forthcoming madbean flanger board will be awesome. But I must say.....
    He does not build clones. He sells PCBs, some of which are circuits that are inspired by (functional work-alike to) well-known pedals, some of which are his own designs.

8. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Madbean site to check out the Flanger, but there is just a spot saying it will be available but i couldn't find any descriptions on what it was going to be like.

Does anybody have any clips other than the 2 on youtube already of the BYOC Flanger? I would really like to hear a few more of its clean tones and a few more distorted tones to see if it really covers all the ground it is suppose to while staying nice, warm and organic as opposed to thin and metallic.

9. markmantle

markmantle Member

I can assure you its not cold and metallic sounding, unfortunately its hard to find good clips of all the byoc stuff.. but most of it is really great.

Its a really really nice flanger, and I dont even really like flangers... but it has a place on my board because it sounds so organic and nice, and the manual mode is really cool as well.

If you need some convincing, give scott @ axeandyoushallreceive.com a ring or email... he has access to a million pedals, and he always mentions how great the BYOC flanger is.

10. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

Thanks markmantle - It sounds like even though I was almost set on the MXR 117 the BYOC might be a better choice.

9v instead of 18v
    smaller footprint
    MXR tones
    A/DA tones
    Ross tones
    warm & organic
    cool fixed flange feature

Anything I am missing or anyone else have any real world experience to share regarding these two. I am going to order a pedal in the next day or two, I have been searching for a while now and am more than ready to buy - just want to make sure I get what I am looking for. After almost buying the MXR 117 several times now the BYOC really has me rethinking my purchase.

Man I wish I could afford to just buy both and a couple others and experiment for myself, but I really need to get it right the first time. Thanks again.

11. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

The BYOC can run at 9v, 12v, or 18v.

Just a little more info. :)

12. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

Thanks - I did see the different voltages listed on BYOC's site.

I was reading their forum and it seems a lot of people had trouble building that kit. There were a lot of posts of no output or weird functioning - any of you guys have experience on this build to know if it is easy or difficult? I have done several guitar pickup - pot swaps but never a pedal before.

13. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

get an 80's fl-9. save a lot of bucks, great versatility. i think i saw one on emporium for $60 recently.

14. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

It's one that people have trouble with because there are so many parts. If you are very meticulous, there's no reason you couldn't get it to fire up the first time (even as a first build).

But if you're not up for building, you can post that you want to buy one on the BYOC forum (when the forum is working right again; right now it's busted). It'll be cheaper than a kit and you'll know it works.

15. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I have listened to some clips of the FL-9 and never really saw any clips that were nailing tones I was after. Maybe I am wrong since it is youtube crap. if you have some good links I would greatly appreciate it. As I said before I want a nice chorus sound to get the Police/Andy Summers tones, but I also want a nice thick non metallic flange for the classic rock tones on leads and power chords. I was about to buy an MXR 117 but again the promises of the BYOC had me rethinking it.

16. geodr

geodr Member

I have built some BYOC pedals, not this one, but looking at the instructions it seems pretty straightforward - not their simplest nor their most difficult pedal to build.

You can also buy them prebuilt by Axe and You Shall Receive (who does an excellent job), or you could probably find someone here or at the BYOC forums to build one for you.

17. bduguay

bduguay Member

Like CJ stated, it's just a higher part count kit that gives it the 'harder to build' reputation.
    Considering it does have more parts than most BYOC kits, at least they're spread out nicely on the PCB so it's only more time consuming, not necessarily harder to build. If you're not up to it, just take some advice from geodr and have me build it through axe and you shall receive :)
    Oh, and it does a great job at flanging too.
    B.

18. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I got a reissue new from GC for $50 and it sounds astoundingly good. That would get my vote.

19. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

LOL - I was short on cash and needed the flanger sound asap - so I walked into a GC about 2 weeks ago and they had a used FL9, so I decided to just picked it up . Sounded great in person compared to youtube clips. Very warm, organic and natural sounding. I get a good variety of usable passable flanger tones from it, enough to cover the Police to VH and everything in between. MXR 117 may have been thicker and lusher and EHX may be more watery, but FL9 is pretty good at getting close to those sounds I wanted and needed. I am still interested in the BYOC in the future but for $50 bucks out the door, I am happy and satisfied with the FL9 for now. Great flanger in its own right.