• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Flanger problem. My pedal doesn't excist?

BOOSTEN

Dear TGPers,

I spent the christmas days scrolling TGP for the ultimate flanger.

I am looking for a versatile flanger that can do the EVH "Unchained/Love" thing but is True Bypass, Analog and 9v.
The Analog thing is not a must, but I read that the Strymon Orbit / TC Vortex sound a bit flat and less threedimensional in comparison to an MXR M117.
Note: I had a MXR Micro Flanger and the EVH sound was perfect for me, but the pedal lacked controls for me and wasn't true bypass.

Thanks for your help!

Broomz

Looks like Analogman did a M117 true-bypass mod at some point, maybe contact them?

ERGExplorer

According to Eddie, he used a flanger on "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love."

So, you've got your MXR Phase 90 phaser and EVH117 flanger, along with one or two of these.

I'm also going to point out that people over at TalkBass chose a phaser from the Source Audio Orbital Modulator over actual analog effects as the best sounding.

The Orbital is true bypass (with an option for buffered bypass if you wish), 9v, and also does flanger.

It's worth being open the the possibility that one digital or analog effect's sound isn't necessarily representative of *all* such effects... although listening with one's prejudices is always an option, if such tastes matter more to a given musician than the actual sound.

I'm calling it now though... you're going to skip the blind tests, and going with a more expensive analog solution to cover the phaser, flanger and true bypass.

Good luck!

Last edited:

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Just curious, what about the MXR buffers aren't working? I never had an issue with the grey box MXR flanger (micro flanger did have a volume boost), and in a lot of ways I find true bypass moot with quality buffers.

All that said, check out the ADA PBF, it takes tweaking but it can give you what you want.

tubekingsley

Just curious, what about the MXR buffers aren't working? I never had an issue with the grey box MXR flanger (micro flanger did have a volume boost), and in a lot of ways I find true bypass moot with quality buffers.

All that said, check out the ADA PBF, it takes tweaking but it can give you what you want.
The reason MXR buffers don't work, is because their pedals aren't buffered.. When Analogman does a true bypass mod on the M-117 Flanger, he is converting "hardwire bypass (mechanical switching)", to true bypass.

Jules-RM

The MXR Flanger is a pretty unique sound. Either forget about getting that exact sound or buy a 4 knob. Not like the audience would be able to tell anyway.

mici

I am looking for a versatile flanger that can do the EVH "Unchained/Love" thing but is True Bypass, Analog and 9v.
Then get the MXR EVH 35th anniversary flanger. I have one and it blows away all flangers. The only one that stands close to it is the vintage Boss HF-2 (in fact I have them, I A/B'ed them and they are pretty close).

Unchained81

Then get the MXR EVH 35th anniversary flanger. I have one and it blows away all flangers. The only one that stands close to it is the vintage Boss HF-2 (in fact I have them, I A/B'ed them and they are pretty close).
Curious about the anniversary flanger. I've always assumed the only difference from the original EVH was the paint job.

edit: The 35th anniv also needs 18v so this isn't his solution if he wants a 9v pedal.

Last edited:

4b454e

Silver Supporting Member
I'm also going to point out that people over at TalkBass chose a phaser from the Source Audio Orbital Modulator over actual analog effects as the best sounding.

The Orbital is true bypass (with an option for buffered bypass if you wish), 9v, and also does flanger.
I would add to this that the Source Audio One Series mod pedals (Mercury Flanger, Lunar Phaser, Gemini Chorus) contain all the algos from the Orbital in a smaller form factor, with much deeper parameter editing via smartphone, and have routing options that could prove useful (you can run stereo but, if that's not your thing, you can use the second In/Out as a loop, so you can place the unit before or after whatever is in the loop)

All three One Series mod boxes can run all the modulation algos, so the main difference is what the knobs on the front of the box control. You can store three presets available via toggle on the front (and three additional presets are available in the extra preset mode).

The Orbital only runs in mono but does have all its editable parameters available on the front of the box, and has two onboard presets you can access with the footswitches. If you just want chorus and flange, are OK with mono (and the fact that it's digital) and don't want to connect a phone to dig in to really deep parameter editing, check out the Orbital.

Last edited:

BOOSTEN

Thanks for your wonderful replies fellas!
For now I settled on a TC Electronic Thunderstorm Flanger. It just came out and apperantly it's a Behringer redesign + True Bypass but it sounds very good! Maybe a little dark.
When MXR updates it's flanger with True Bypass I will get the M104!

Mickey's dad

Thanks for your wonderful replies fellas!
For now I settled on a TC Electronic Thunderstorm Flanger. It just came out and apperantly it's a Behringer redesign + True Bypass but it sounds very good! Maybe a little dark.
So is this pedal noisy at all? I have a TC Eletronic SCF that pops when I engage it, so I am looking for a replacement for me board. If you have had a chance to play a little more with do you have any thoughts on it?
Thanks !!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom