Flanger: Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteelyDannyBoy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. SteelyDannyBoy

SteelyDannyBoy Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering swapping out my Whetstone phaser for either a flanger pedal or one that offers flange, phase, chorus, etc.
    I posted in another thread, but I wanted to get more specifics of my own.

As I've never used a flanger, can anyone please tell me what's meant by
    Through-Zero Flanging (TZF)? I know what flangers sound like, but don't know the terminology.

In the other thread - asking for feedback on those who have tried the Jack Deville MOD ZERO and Eventide Modfactor - a few said they thought the Modfactor was a much better bet. What I'm after is the "classic" long "jet engine" sweep, extreme/weird sounds, and perhaps phase and chorus.
    The Modfactor has that and more, though some folks found it "cold".
    What about the A/DA Flanger? Strymon Orbit? Other "boutique" (oh, how I hate that term) pedals? I'd love to hear from those who have compared two or more pedals that offer flange effects.
    Thank you for any input you can offer. (Caveat: I play pedal steel exclusively, and I'm somewhat tech/mech challenged; an expression pedal is not an option, nor are different guitar pickups. Analog vs. digital is not essential to me; I feel nuances aren't as critical live).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Hiya
    Here goes

Through Zero Flanging.

This is an old school flanging thing.
    Flanging used to be a studio trick done with 2 tape reels running simutainiously (sorry for spelling) where you would slow down one of the tapes by placing your finger on the flanges... (hence the name) as a result the delayed signal would get slower and faster than the first signal and go through the zero point causing a distinct peice of chaos (that is cool....) but is quite hard to generate with electronics. there are some emulations out there though although I have not tried one myself.

Main flanger choices

Deluxe Electric Mistress - Fantastic shimmery liquid tones almost chorusy in nature. To my ears the best flanger out there for clean tones. Not the best for distortion or jetplane noises but a truely beautiful sound. Thing the Police, Pink Floyd early Cure recordings.

MXR 117 - Warmer more "solid" sound. The best jetplane flanger. Nice on clean but mind blowing with distortion. Good for wacky stuff. best examples are Souxie and the Banshees and Eddie Van Halen.

ADA - Very flexable does both the liquid shimmer of the Deluxe Mistress and the Jetplane of the MXR but to my ears never really nails either quite as well but for a wide range of tones its the best but it does cost a bit more.

I have no experience of the Strymon or Mod factor so can't comment there (I like my pedals simple to use so they are not appealing to me)

Concidering what you have stated I'd probably recomend the MXR as it does wacky but has serious class at the same time, is readily available and you wont have to remortgage your soul to get one.

thats my two penneth.... on to the next

3. excane

excane Member

Although expensive, the GNI phaser flanger is one of my favorite boxes. It's 2 separate effects (flanger and phaser) that can be run together or independently.

It sounds great, and for what it does it's extremely versatile.

[​IMG]

4. djy8131

djy8131 Member

I have the MXR micro flanger. I find it works well but does NOT have extreme settings.

5. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Thats where the 117 comes in... although the micro is nice and I am thinking of getting one.... how is it with mid to low OD? I've heard demo's clean and with high gain but never pushed cleand or mid gain?

6. nealh999

nealh999 Member

I've got a TC Electronic Vortex that I'm really loving. It replaced an MXR M-117R that I had on loan. I went with the TC because my loaner MXR had a volume drop, was too warm, and needed its own power supply, and the TC gets wacky in a way that I'm liking more. The new TC line is really affordable as well.

7. SteelyDannyBoy

Thanks very much to all!

I think I saw that explanation of flanging, though I'd still like to know specifically what TZF means. Is it a type of "sweep" that runs a full spectrum of flanged sound?

I hadn't heard of the GNI, but I had looked at the MXR 117.
    A pedal with both a great phase and flange would be my first choice; I just need to know that the sound quality - whether analog or digital - is top shelf. I can't say money is no object, but it's worth the extra bucks to get it right the first time.

Further comments are welcome.

8. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I don't have very much flanger experience, but the Boss HF-2 sounds stellar, and it's cheap. It's also made in Japan, and it's widely regarded on these boards as awesome. It sounds Gilmourish to me.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I dig mine too... really excellent and versatile, both on the flanging AND phasing sides. Although both on at once gets a bit too hissy with any significant overdrive.

The GNI is analog, both in phasing and flanging, and does not sound digital at all. I enjoy its flanger sounds (esp. with gain) more than I did with my Strymon Orbit. I think the GNI has 'top shelf' phasing and flanging sounds for sure, but as I pointed out above, it would be remiss of me not to mention that if you are using both sides at the same time with overdrive sounds, I feel it's a bit hissy. It's as hissy as any other analog flanger with drive, but both at once is a bit unuseable IMO. But it does sound better than the Strymon Orbit... just a larger and wider sound... even though the Strymon (being digital) imparted no hiss.

10. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

This is what I use......and I love it.

11. fred_

fred_ Supporting Member

By no means am I a flange expert (ha!) but i have had a Boss BF-2 forever and just can't seem to shake it off my board. It even does a really nice chorus (courtesy of the "manual", i.e. delay time, control). Jet plane-y? You bet! I really like it.

I tried the Strymon Orbit, but it just seemed too complicated, and- more importantly- did not flange very well, IMO. Just did not sound very good. And I have two other Strymon pedals...

No other experience with other flange pedals...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  12. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BrE1Pi5cU&ob=av2e

go to 4.46 for an example of through-zero flange. pretty awesome effect.

this this forever this.

13. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

though I'd still like to know specifically what TZF means.......

I think that what happens is the sweep of the flange goes from positive through the zero "dividing line" into negative flanging. At zero the two signals cancel out.

dig into some hendrix or eric johnson for examples..

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

To amplify the description, you have two tape systems sync'd, so they sound exactly the same. You delay one by dragging a finger on the flange, then you slow the other the same amount. Each time you slow the one that's ahead there's a microsecond when the two are back in sync again=zero delay. That's the sound you hear on Jimi Hendrix stuff or the Beatles. There aren't really any pedals that do a great job of both general flanging and TZF, although the Foxrox Paradox is the best at it (don't bother looking, they're very expensive and very hard to find).

For the slow, Barracuda kind of flange the 117 isn't great because there's this weird kind of blip at the bottom of the sweep.

15. SteelyDannyBoy

Thanks very much for the tips and the info on TZF!
    The GNI looks intriguing, and I'm glad to hear it works really well.
    Anyone care to chime in on the Modfactor's flange (and phase) abilities and sound?

16. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Strymon Orbit should definitely be auditioned before making a final choice. It can do the sounds of both the ADA and the MXR and then some.

17. Jimishrine

Jimishrine Member

I've got to say I am partial to Strymon stuff. I have a blue Sky, El Capistan and the Orbit Flanger, with a Lex rotary on order. I used to use an old, AC-powered DOD flanger, but I just got the Orbit and love the sound so far. It has a 'favorite' switch so you have have two sounds set up. I play 90's covers, so one is a fast watery type for Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" and the other is a sweeping jet flange for Lenny Kravitz' "Go My Way".

It does have a lot of options and will take some time to get it all sorted out. The jet flange sound was easy to get, but the other one took me awhile. Using the presets in the manual as a starting point helped, but the controls are very interactive and small moves make big changes in sound.

18. SteelyDannyBoy

Yes, Strymon's stuff is excellent. I have a TimeLine, and previously had the BSR, as well as the Damage Control TL. I only sold the DC TL to make room for the Strymon, and the BSR because I wanted the Eventide SPACE. I will consider the Orbit, as Strymon seems to hit well on every pedal they make.