flanger suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redbeardrob, Feb 5, 2012.

1. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

a chorus "isn't enough" and a phaser is "too much." i'm a flanger guy.

i've been using the same Boss BF-2 for a decade and a half now (it was the 2nd pedal i ever bought), and i feel the urge to upgrade it. considering the rest of my board is filled with boutique stuff, i thought the time might be right.

plus, mainly it seems the only thing i can really shape with it is the rate, otherwise the rest of the knobs kind of seem useless. it comes and goes on my board from time to time, but now i have the need for it again, and it just isn't matching the tone in my head.

true bypass, flexibility, and some analog circuitry is what i'm looking for. i don't care about "the best" one, or the cheapest, just point me in the right direction to start checking some out.

i play strats into fender amps. lots of fuzz. lots of delays. a little overdrive.

thanks.

2. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

hmm i was always under the impression that a flanger was 2 phasers basically...

3. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

Paul Gilbert Signature AF2 Airplane Flanger......??

4. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

officially? i don't know. to my ears, a phaser sounds too "spacey" though. plus, i always thought choruses were like "baby bear," flangers were "momma bear," and phasers were "poppa bear" of modulation... i'm not a modulation expert though. just looking for something that sounds good.

5. inhuman

inhuman Member

What about the EHX Deluxe Eelectric Mistress? You can do Pink Floyd to The Cure to The Police to Nirvana. Very versatile. I use the BF-2, I like the Tool vibe I get from it. If I was ever to get a more versatile flanger, it would be the Deluxe electric Mistress. I do believe it is analog. Check it out

6. Occam

Occam Member

I love flange with fuzz especially on big riffs. Set the flange slow and it gives it nice motion. I really like the Barracuda flanger for basic, high quality flange but the Paul Gilbert flange is also a ton of fun.

7. YETI

YETI Silver Supporting Member

Really enjoying the MXR micro flanger. Great pedal.

8. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I really like my EHX Flanger Hoax but there's a definite learning curve there. The line6 MM4 has some great flanger tones in it too.

9. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

For me its the Hartman. Ive never had so much fun playing a flanger. The filter switch is the icing on the cake for me.

10. hawes

hawes Member

With all the options for other types of pedals..it really surprises me that there aren't too many options for a flanger. I am still rocking my BF2 from time to time as well (my first pedal I bought) and still haven't found anything to replace it yet.

11. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

12. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Look for a HF-2, lots of info HERE

13. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I didn't care for the BF-2 when I had it. I like the HF-2 Hi-Band Flanger better.

EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress is my favorite. Absolute classic warm flanging.

If you need jet woosh, though, the MXR does that better.

Had the Ibanez PG Airplane Flanger, was pretty cool but the tone wasn't as nice as the EHX. Take-Off Mode was hilarious, but wished it was quieter.

The Flanger Hoax is a crazy awesome pedal, but definitely for someone who likes to experiment.

14. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

The Mod Zero does it all and sounds big and fat and analog warm. Sold my Fox Rox after getting the Mod Zero.:omg

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Exactly what I was going to suggest. I bought one cause I had some birthday cash to spend. Normally wouldn't buy a flanger. I absolutly love this pedal. Does so many sounds cause the controls are so interactive. The Take Off mode isn't loud when you run it into distortion like Paul Gilbert does and the old fashioned way so many guitarist did before effects loops.

Lot's of vibe in this pedal, IMO of course.

16. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Flanger and Chorus are both related, phase shifters and uni-vibes are related.

My personal favorite flanger in the original MXR from from the late '70s early '80s. I haven't tried it, but I;ve heard good things about the Dunlop RI.

The new ADA RI is a killer flanger as well - more in your face than the the MXR.

Of course you coluld always hope that Micahel Fuller finally comes out with the ChoralFlange II and that the flanger section rawks!

17. Zelig

Zelig Member

I'm a flanger addict. And my favourite is the A/DA Flanger RI.
    I also have:
    Boss BF-2
    EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress
    MXR RI
    Mod Zero (don't like it much)
    Ibanez Swell Flanger SF-10
    TC Electronic Vortex
    Ibanez DML-20 (it has a great flanger mode)
    Lovetone ?

18. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

They must have changed something, because I run all my effects through the front, and it was louder than regular mode. Pretty sure that was clean and dirty.

19. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

haha, this is why i bought it years ago. it nails 46 & 2. i just don't do the whole tool thing much these days.

thanks for the suggestions guys. i've heard good and bad things about the electric mistress. more good than bad though. i've heard it's little noisy. any other comments here?

the toadworks is a little out of my price range, especially for an effect that i don't use often, same with the hartman, plus it's so bloody big! (zosozep, you & i often see eye to eye though, so i'm definitely gonna have to check it out).

the MXR micro flanger is cheap. any more comments on that one?

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah, it's still loud. But my point is that PG uses it with a dirty tone, into a dirty tone. The distortion *after* it compresses the level so although it does boost a little (since it's going through a crazy frequency sweep) it evens out. I don't think they designed that setting to be used with a clean tone.