Flanger Title Bout: Thorpy Camoflange vs. Spaceman Aurora

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Never content to simply leave well enough alone, I find myself looking at the Spaceman Aurora despite having and (mostly) liking the Thorpy Camoflange. I think the Thorpy pedal is pretty excellent. Can get close enough to Electric Mistress tones and it also has its own unique thing going on, with an impressive amount of control. That said, I sometimes find myself longing for something weirder, for lack of a better term, which is why I've been exploring the Aurora.

Anyone with experience with both pedals care to weigh in?

bioklastik

Silver Supporting Member
If you want something Weirder, then you probably want to try the Dreadbox Komorebi. I've had both of the aforementioned Flangers, and while they are good in their own respects, outside of wave shape and treble control, they are just Flangers at the end of the day. The Komorebi just has something different about it. It can do a decent ring mod,chorus and has the trippiest feedback when it is turned up.

Last edited:

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had both and no longer have either.

However, I would buy the Camoflange again if it was upgraded to an 18V preamp. The thing just broke up ugly when hit down the chain. If you run flanger early and use easygoing pickups (strat or goldfoil) you wont have a problem and will enjoy the beautiful sounds. However, I pretty much only roll with my flanger dead last in the chain and the Camoflange cannot hang there without some ridiculous breakout/parallel signal routing for my uses. Still, it’s a beautiful pedal that sounds like a ****ing green lizard on acid and is totally loveable for the the right rig.

The Aurora on the other hand is a total badass and can be powered at higher voltages (12v I think) but even at 9V had/has no problem dealing with robust signals from P90’s & HB’s and even sounds great when hit with a Saturn V and greater signal levels.

The Aurora has some really cool tricks and excellent sounds! It might not be as “pretty” sounding as the Thorpy. But it has tons of good vibes and would be my pick if I weren’t so enthralled with my Foxrox TZF2. The only thing the Foxrox really does better is the highest sweeping sounds you can find in a non DEM flanger. Although its waveform isn’t really a DEM at all, I think it’s the only flanger that really goes as high as the Reticon infused ones from yesteryear.

I’ve heard a few people say the Aurora is like a BF2 with extra awesome sauce and that’s pretty spot on. The noise floor of the Aurora is also hard to top and I love its control set. I traded one for a Tensor but would gladly still have it in my collection if I could actually afford a collection, lol. It definitely is more my speed based on what it’s capable of over the CF. But like I said, if the Camoflange could handle more input level it would be really hard to beat for sheer loveliness of tone.
Never content to simply leave well enough alone, I find myself looking at the Spaceman Aurora despite having and (mostly) liking the Thorpy Camoflange. I think the Thorpy pedal is pretty excellent. Can get close enough to Electric Mistress tones and it also has its own unique thing going on, with an impressive amount of control. That said, I sometimes find myself longing for something weirder, for lack of a better term, which is why I've been exploring the Aurora.

Anyone with experience with both pedals care to weigh in?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
After reading this and playing around with my pedals some more, I think I'm inclined to just keep my Camoflange. I do run it early in my chain, after only my Sun Lion and compressor. I do wish it could also do more of a swooshy jet plane sound too, but between my Camoflange and my Deco I'm probably covered.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom