flanger's hiss

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stereotypy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i have a flanger hoax which i love to death for the sounds i can get out of it... but it has some big hiss when it's phasing or flanging. it's the same thing my ibanez fl-9 does.. there's a part in the sound i cannot get without the hiss... and that is totally disturbing.. me.

are there any other possibilities for phaser flanger without hiss that are doing werid stuff like the hoax? what about the tzf? or the mutron bi-phase or phaser?....

thanks!

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

It is the oscilator you can hear, not much to do about that, more eveident at more extreme settings.

3. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

aren't there flangers were you can't hear it? it's not as nice when you play clean and there is this hiss with the sound...

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's likely there's no way to completely eliminate the hiss without other negative consequences. Here's why (and this is informed ******** :)). The BBD chips in a Flanger sample the music according to the clock speed, determined by the Nyquist theorem (which says that the clock has to be at least twice as fast as the highest frequency you're sampling). The problem is that as you lengthen delay, you have to stretch out the sampling rate and you get "aliasing" errors which sound like hiss and worse noises. To eliminate those, you put a low pass filter after the Flanger. To not make the LPF round off too much of your sound, you end up letting a bit of hiss thru. The higher quality the Flanger, the more technology goes into input/output circuitry and clocking and the less hiss you get...

5. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

6. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I have a flanger hoax & yes the hiss is extreme BUT I'm having a blast w/ it!
    Don't have as much hiss with my old MXR flange though...

7. johndara

johndara Member

I have an MXR Micro Flange with no hiss, one of the quietest Flanges I've tried. Although it does do a slight volume increase when engaged. It's a straight Flange, nothing fancy as far as doing weird noises.

8. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

no hiss sounds good.. :).. i was thinking now of buying a moog phaser or a tzf. i think the mxr could be maybe a little to straight for me.. though i love the sound of it. the hoax does incerdible sounds, just stunning at it. but the hiss is something i just don't like to hear. ..

9. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

Some hiss will always be in the EH Hoax, as the "bean counters" will always limit the cost of production, forcing the designer to "strip down" quality and component counts to the minimum.

but...... I'm pretty sure I saw a thread at Aron's DIY forum, where this hiss was discussed.

The designer of the Hoax hangs his hat there, and writes under the name "puretube" , If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could get some info on reducing the "constant" hiss (not to be confused with the "sweep noise").

Hope this helps,
    Ed R.

10. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

do you have the url for aarons page cause i don't find it with those words at google.

11. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

Something like
    DIYstompbox.com
    should due it.

Ed R.