Flangers - Maxon vs. Ibanez vs. MXR which one should I get?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnnyBGoode, Jul 4, 2008.

1. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

Hi everyone,

It's my first time posting here.

I have a really big dilemma about what flanger should I get.
    I want something that could add fatness and color to distorted solos and riffs - Van Halen is a good example - although I don't need something too extreme. I'm not really kin about the Unchain tone for example. As far as I understood the pedals mentioned below can get me there.

I can get the Maxon FL9 in a store for the same price that I can buy it on EBay. MXR and Ibanez pedals are sold here in their full price + a little more which means I'll have to directly order them, maybe without a chance to try them in a store first.

Also, Is the Maxon pedal so much better then the Ibanez FL9 that it costs twice more? I did always had issues with Ibanez products (bad luck I guess) so it makes me a little repellent about ordering their pedal.

Any other options I should consider? (Electric Mistress etc...?) I've tried the Fulltone ChoralFlange and I really didn't like the flanger setting so that one is not an option.

I'm really confused here, help me out.

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I have the MXR 117 flange... its pretty sweet. takes two 9 volt batteries though.... unless you power it from your pedal board which I do..

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Have you checked out the Hartman Electronics yet-it is new, a Mistress type flanger and the most liquid, lush flanger out there.

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

The mxr is heavy sounding, like VH. I thought the Maxon just sucked. It just sounded to perfect or well behaved, if that makes any sense. Then I tried the EH DEM and that's what I was looking for. I feel that it fits right in with your guitar signal rather than standing out and overpowering it. But this depends what you're after as well. Alex Lifeson used this effect on red barchetta from moving pics. Think of the intro from heart's barracuda. And let's not forget Andy Summers signature sound.

If these are the flange sounds you like then the EH DEM is your pedal. And contrary to this, you can't get these sounds out of other flangers.

5. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

Here is my thoughts based on personal experience.

I bought the Ibanez used at GC, then found a Maxon here at TGP a couple of days after. The Maxon was much better and had true bypass so I returned the Ibanez. My good friend soon purchased the MXR so I tried them out sided by side. To my ears, they sounded almost identical and both are really excellent. The only difference I could detect was that at the lowest part of their sweeps, the Maxon had a slightly metalic harshness I have heard in other flangers, while the MXR did not.

So, I liked the MXR better, but still use the Maxon because it's really good, has a much smaller footprint, and uses one 9v battery or common 9v DC supply. If I remember correctly, the MXR is 18 volt and uses two 9 volt batteries in series or the MXR power supply.

6. zachman

zachman Senior Member

I have the original MXR 117, and I LOVE it!

7. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

If you can wait a bit, Mojo Hand (Tone Factor) are working on a new flanger that has some fantastic subtle sounds and can get as crazy as you want, too. I'm not sure when it's coming out, but it's definitely in the works (a tourbox went around a few months ago).

Oh, and it has a ramp unit /expression pedal input, too. Very cool.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The MXR Micro Flange is a great pedal that takes up a minimum of pedalboard real estate - enough room inside to install a TB switch if that is your thing, but a nice little buffer inside if not. It would be my flanger of choice if I had enough room on my pedal board for it - unfortunately, I don't, so my Red Twister does double duty. Still and all, the Mircro Flange is relatively cheap, and a really, really good sounding flanger.

9. madmanmike777

madmanmike777 Member

man, not to name one you didnt ask about to be different, just saying, imho the BEST flangers out there are - a vintage deluxe electric mistress (the one with its OWN power cord)...pretty much thats it, but Mooer has come out with their ElecLady Flanger, which seems to nail the electric mistress, but in a tiny enclosure...the only other flanger i like best is the 9v electric mistress, which are vintage, and even harder to find (and more expensive)...only because they work so nicely on a voodoo labs pedal power lol...but deff ehx for best flanger, just not any of the new XO stuff

10. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

I'd seriously consider the third generation reissue ADA. It's available now, and may not be in the future. It's the king of flanger pedals.

If you can find a Deluxe Electric Mistress check it out. Definitely different from the MXR or the ADA, has its own thing going.

Both of these take up lots of pedalboard space, but they really are cool.