Flangers with an exp pedal / CV input for LFO speed?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TEMAS, Apr 18, 2008.

1. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

I haven't ruled out spending a small fortune on a used TZF. And I'd probably buy a Lovetone ? or A/DA if I could find one.

But on the whole, I think there's some pretty decent sounding flangers out there, but none of them seem to have an expression pedal input. Ideally, I'd really like to be able to ramp the speed of the LFO up and down, but I guess control of the manual would be almost as useful.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd consider a rack mount unit.

Thanks

2. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

Chicago Iron Pedalflanger will do this for you. However, it is an actual pedal and there is no jack for an exp pedal. You can use the pedal to control rate or manual. It is a little expensive though. I had an original pedalflanger, and it is a very nice sounding flange.

You will definitely find the TZF cheaper than the Lovetone and doesn't the A/DA need a special expression pedal that is also rare??

You should contact whoismarykelly. He is making A/DA clones, but I don't think he has done one with CV. Maybe he would do it for you if possible???

Check here

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=346195&highlight=montgomery

3. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

Not that hard in theory to add lfo control to most clock based effects, I'll stick one on an Electric Mistress over the w/e if I get time.

4. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know the A/DA needs a special expression pedal.

The Montgomery Appliances 77 looks pretty cool, especially the version with 2 different speed settings, but I don't know how available they are.

The PedalFlanger sounds pretty close to what I'm trying to acheive, but if I'm spending >$550 I don't know whether its worth having the extra features of the TZF.

There's the Toadworks Barracuda as well, but I wasn't that impressed with the clip on their site.

[Edit: Toadworks have added new samples and it sounds quite promising]

5. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

The Foxrox is so much better than the ADA, the ADA is an amazing flanger but the TZF will just do so much more as well as. I wouldnt sell either though.

6. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

Yeah, from the clips I've heard, the TZF has the 'prettiest' swishing sound. But I do also like that fat metallic robotic sound that I always associate with the A/DA as it reaches the bottom peak of the sweep.

I've heard that the TZF is a bit subtle without fuzz or distortion before it. Is this the case, or can it still do some dramatic stuff to clean sounds?

7. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

BTW, in the clip on the Chicago Iron site the PedalFlanger does sound a bit noisy, but maybe thats just the rest of the chain. How are you finding it for noise and hiss?

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I have both on my board. The TZF has fixed resonance which makes it a little darker with clean sounds than the ADA. Thats the way it was designed. It takes quite a bit more time to learn the TZF than the ADA which is a little more easy to use with just tweaking of the range and manual to get the different sounds. I think the ADA is more of an instant happiness flanger while the TZF is sort of the graduate school of flanging. Its best to play all the others before you figure out what you really want and if you dont like anything else, you might finally find it in the TZF. Damn if they aren't expensive now though.

9. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

I thought the Regen control was the same as a resonance control?
    [Edit: I just read the documentation and now understand that the Regen knob controls the mix between positive and negative feedback, not the intensity of feedback]

BTW. Are your Flangers available to buy yet?

10. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

I just watched a 70's A/DA sell for $336 on Ebay. Mind you, it was a bit tatty looking. Too bad it was a US only auction.

11. whoismarykelly

The market fluctuates on the vintage ADAs. That can be wonky though and often have that pesky AC cord which Im not a fan of.

The various positive and negative options on the TZF are very cool. It can sound very cutting but it doesn't really do that super high feedback resonant filter sound that makes clean flange really sound nice.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  12. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

13. whoismarykelly