1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Flashback Delay vs. DD-20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lt_Core, May 19, 2011.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

Has anybody dumped their DD-20 for the new TC Electronic Flashback delay? I'm looking for a smaller, versatile delay for a Pedaltrain Mini board. I'm not worried about presets or anything. Can I store any setting in Toneprint or do I have to download them from TC's site? Thanks!

On a side-note, there have been a lot of Flashback's for sale in the Emporium...that kind of puzzles me. Are people liking it in the effects loop or out front?

2. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

Nobody can compare the two? Cmon, pedal junkies!! Interesting in the differences between the modulated delay & tape delay, mainly.

3. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I can't speak to the DD-20 comparison, but I have a Flashback currently (my second after regretting selling the first one!) and can respond to a couple of your questions:

At this point in time, you cannot save your own presets, only the TonePrints from the TC website. The TonePrints work great though, and provide sounds that are not otherwise possible on the pedal.

I think it's an artifact of the hype machine. Folks get excited to try the latest greatest on impulse and then dump when they get bored, it's not what they actually wanted, have buyers remorse, etc. It's a pattern that's easy to predict IMO.

I find it kills anywhere in your chain. Just a great sounding buffer and a 100% analog signal path. No worries here.

4. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I run mine in the fx loop with the buffer on, very good results, mesa express 5:50.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I dumped my DD7 for the FB and couldn't be happier. IMHO, the FB is a much more user friendly inferface/control knob set up. I like it's smaller footprint and lower profile on my board too. I've found a setting that actually works on three of the delay types with very little tweaking when I turn the type knob. I haven't loaded a TP yet, but I'm diggin' the Audley Freed one a lot and thinking that will be a go-to-sound for me soon.

6. Occam

Occam Member

I like the tones on the flashback more...many of them just seem more lively than the DD-20 but the DD-20 is still on my board because I need multiple delay settings for my band. When we start recording again I'll probably use the Flashback for my delays.

7. musickbox

musickbox Member

Flashback is nice but with out a tap tempo, a lot of guys seem to be turned off by it. I have a DD5 I've using for years and love it.

8. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

I'm assuming you know that the Flashback has a strum-tempo feature. Not quite the same as tap-tempo but in most cases should get you close to tapping out the tempo.

For those that have used it, what do you think of the strum-tempo feature?

9. wck

wck Member

If you're not concerned about the lack of tap tempo and tone control, presets, controllable modulation then the flashback would suit you nicely for tape and modulated delay. The tri chorus is really really lush sounding, great stuff.

Because of the strum tempo, you cannot bypass the pedal and strum. Cos it has to receive a guitar signal to get the tempo.. That means its gotta be on and also not bypassed in the true bypass looper of some kind. Not really a fan of that.

10. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I love it, but I never had a tap tempo delay, so I never got used to that. (Well, I had a DD-5 for a while but I never even hooked up the tempo switch). Coming to delays fresh, strumming the delay like I am playing is vastly better than trying to tap it with my feet. I don't care how much time I spend playing my drum kit, it feels much more natural to strum it.

The only downside of the lack of tap tempo is switching tempos in the middle of a song. An issue that isn't a concern to me at all right now, but I gather that it's very important to some other players.

11. musickbox

musickbox Member

Not to get into a "strum tempo vs tap tempo" discussion, but I just feel for my purposes the tap tempo is way better. When I'm gigging I don't always have the best drummer and sometimes I have to adjust the tempo mid-song. You can't do that with strum tempo. Also I have been keeping time with my right foot since I was 8 in the school orchestra, so I've always found it to be very natural. Again, a personal preference that seems to be a norm around these parts.

I have thought of getting the FB for the tape sounds, but I think the Echo Park does a better job for a delay in that price range.

12. fulldrive2

fulldrive2 Member

I did just that two weeks ago! Didn't use the DD20 nearly enough to justify the amount of space it took up. Traded it in towards the Flashback and don't regret it at all! The Flashback is just better overall for me. The ONLY thing I liked more about the DD20 was the 2 Head Tape delay... Hoping for a toneprint of one...

13. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

Fair enough :) I'm used to tap tempo too, but our drummer is like a metronome so I guess I'm spoiled that way.