Flat patch cable roundup

PatriotBadger

My board needs love. So far the flat patch cable options I know of:

EBS
Ernie Ball
Daddario
Rockboard
Donner

Any others you know of? Any reason to consider one over the other (excluding Donner of course, I'll pass on those).

longgonedaddy

Silver Supporting Member
M-maka on Amazon

been using them for 2+ years, no more or less signal loss than any other cable, and have been durable after many, many board reconfigurations. I’m not afraid of them breaking and needing to repair. for their price, and estimated life, no need to repair.

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
I will never ever buy any patch cables with molded ends, because you can't repair those once they break.
While I used to think like this, after nearly 30 years I still have some Hosa molded end cables that are going strong (in fact, only lost one I can think of) whereas some of the decent quality soldered cables from that era have died (this was long before boutique cables, of course).

Valves-R-Us

EBS offers two flavors, the standard and their premium gold. The golds are a bit much where standards sell better. Both are molded plastic connectors.

Reading Amazon reviews, I spotted several really liking Ernie's flats over many cables listed that they have tried. The EB's have metal hoods (shielding) that mitigate external noise. Something about the weight and handling of metal connectors seems more substantial. I just ordered EB singles in different lengths from Amazon. I like the way you can roll them into an 'S' or run them straight without kinks and binds. The whole thing is the slim profile where board real estate is tight.

Tip for Cable Gorillas: Don't yank on the soft cable to remove the connector, grab the metal body with a pinch grip and work it straight out. These are not designed for rip-cords.

tonedover

Silver Supporting Member
ive got about a dozen EBS gold, nary a problem in 2 years
form factor is smaller than regular ebs.
love the low profile flat cable they use, somehow better for keeping the board neat

BenTobith

Symmetrically Hard Clipped
Platinum Supporting Member
EBS High Performance are the best. EBS Gold are second best.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
M-maka on Amazon

been using them for 2+ years, no more or less signal loss than any other cable, and have been durable after many, many board reconfigurations. I’m not afraid of them breaking and needing to repair. for their price, and estimated life, no need to repair.
Yep been using some for a year or so. Small profile, flexible cable. So far no issues. Good price too.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I've bought about 9 of the Ernie Balls over the past 2 months. They are working great on my new board!

Grenville

Bought a handful of EBS standards for my pedalboard about 3 or 4 years ago. At least two of them were noisy, so I got rid of all of them.

I figured I'd try again with EBS Golds, which have been great.

soma

The new EBS Hi-Performance are much much better and not noisy at all. I had used EBS since they first came out but hated the handling noise. Went to Squareplugs and Van Damme for a while but these new EBS are brilliant.

These ones:

mambosun92

The new EBS Hi-Performance are much much better and not noisy at all. I had used EBS since they first came out but hated the handling noise. Went to Squareplugs and Van Damme for a while but these new EBS are brilliant.

These ones:

Could you clarify « handling noise » please?

Valves-R-Us

I had used EBS since they first came out but hated the handling noise.
Would that be static crackling when simply handling the cords like moving and tucking? Or would that occur when rotating or touching the connectors? Can't believe they'd still sell cracky cables.

mambosun92

I too noticed a bit of « microphonic » like noise when grabbing and rotating some patches. But in normal use ( ie: in place, static) I don’t have any issue so far.
I may give a try to the new high performance flat patches someday, but they are a bit pricey.

Trending Topics