Flat patch cable roundup

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Gold Supporting Member
Noise when handling is the often caused by an insulator or dieletric + another material touching/rubbing then being separated (e.g cord being stepped on/off).

aka "Triboelectric effect".

There is also a piezo electric effect in some polypropylene materials that shows up when compressed.

Adagietto

Supporting Member
These flat cables look nice. After checking prices, I think I'll stick with Monorail/SIS patch cables that I assemble myself.

Valves-R-Us

...caused by an insulator or dieletric + another material touching/rubbing...
Right, dissimilar materials can generate a static crackle by light handling. This may be occuring without ever having the small patch stepped on. Crushing the insulation is a definite cause of failure with stage cords we trample on.

soma

With EBS golds I noticed both handling noise and RF interference depending on what was on the board and proximity to other gear.

With the EBS - Hi Performance that is all gone.

Valves-R-Us

I'm wondering about shielding with these plastic end covers. The jack may be surrounded by a conductive foil or thin material before they over-mold the plastic? But the old 'pancake' style were metal - grounded shields.

Thinking cheaper ones may be unshielded at the ends as the molded plastic guitar cords are to be avoided due to this? These may be susceptible to RF and handling noise.

Valves-R-Us

I just received D'Addario 'S' bend 4" flats to test in a tight arrangement. Many flat cables are meant to be flipped or rolled into connections where they only offer 'C' types. D'Addaio offers 'C' and 'S' styles as well the Canadian company - Tour Gear Designs.

Due to my small board, I needed the cables flat against both sides of a large pedal squeezed in between pedals on each side. The 'C' type would follow along the pedal side but would need a flip at the top connector to plug in. The 'S' cables drop in correctly with no rolls at the top.

They seem like quality cables with no static, crackling or strangeness handling them. They're soft and pliable where they do roll and flip unlike stiff round cable patch cords. If you have space, the common 'C' bend works fine especially if you buy them long to fish below and above your pedals. But if you really need an "S' bend these are a great choice.

Trending Topics