Flat Patch Cables. Has Anyone Tried Them?

oansun

Silver Supporting Member
Had the deluxes, they all stopped working within the week. Got the golds and they work great. Go for those. Size difference is substantial

jnam

Silver Supporting Member
Love them! Slowly converting all my George L's and Mogami to EBS and Rockboard

fitzo

Greybeard
Gold Supporting Member
I've got about 20 of the regular (black plug) version in play in various lengths. Change pedals all the time, so they get manipulated a lot. Haven't had a failure or any noise yet. Also haven't noticed any loss of tone in the changeover from Lava ELC solderless. I'm quite satisfied.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
Had the deluxes, they all stopped working within the week. Got the golds and they work great. Go for those. Size difference is substantial
Aarggh! Sweetwater didn't have the gold ones when I ordered mine... were you doing anything unusual with yours? It's hard to imagine they all quit so soon with normal use. I wonder what's different about the gold ones besides the plating... stronger wire?

oansun

Silver Supporting Member
Aarggh! Sweetwater didn't have the gold ones when I ordered mine... were you doing anything unusual with yours? It's hard to imagine they all quit so soon with normal use. I wonder what's different about the gold ones besides the plating... stronger wire?
I mean, i had them plug into pedal in a board and into a switcher. Seems normal enough. I was baffled but i didn’t like, toss them in water or anything. Hosa’s lasted longer. The plastic covering on the plugs don’t really seem all that rigid. It’s kind of easy to damage that is think. That’s another difference in the Deluxe vs Gold, the covers on the plug and wiring is a more rigid plastic with some gold plating around the 2 sides and seems super solid. The cover on the Deluxe is one rubbery plastic thin layer over what seems to be a much more malleable plastic piece, no metal involved. The Golds are also much floppier and easy to manipulate, the deluxes are kind of harder to bend as needed and to get through. It’s a bit more involved than just gold plating, it’s a redesign of the work done. You may not ever see an issue with yours, but it’s important to document when problems happen so you know there could be an issue. Sweetwater was super great in the return process and helped me out quite a bit. Great people there. They tested them when i sent them back and confirmed they were all nonfunctional. It’s nearly impossible to get in and fix those too, sacrifices of size and all.

fitzo

Greybeard
Gold Supporting Member
@oansun One has to wonder if EBS had a manufacturing snafu resulting in a string of defective cables and you got them all from the same batch. Always bizarre when personal experiences with gear can be at opposite ends of the spectrum. Great of Sweetwater to not hassle you and allow you to upgrade. Good retailer. Hope the gold ones are great for you.

Mr2D

Entire board has been wired with them for over a year, no issues, and I change my board a lot.

oansun

Silver Supporting Member
@oansun One has to wonder if EBS had a manufacturing snafu resulting in a string of defective cables and you got them all from the same batch. Always bizarre when personal experiences with gear can be at opposite ends of the spectrum. Great of Sweetwater to not hassle you and allow you to upgrade. Good retailer. Hope the gold ones are great for you.
I’d kind of thought the same, but on some Facebook groups and a couple of other users in this forum with similar experiences has me wondering if their process for making them is flawed in a way where they make bad batches? I don’t know, i definitely don’t feel I’m the only one. However, i am loving the golds and the difference in quality is palpable.

sliberty

Two pedalboards loaded with the EBS flat cables and no issues at all. Makes for a very neat pedalboard as long as you aren’t using a switcher. But with a switcher, I’d probable cut and make my own cables to get the lengths perfect. But since I don’t use a switcher, they are a great solution.

Trending Topics