flat poled or staggered poled single coils...

theon

Silver Supporting Member
Staggered for that vintage look.The old 7.25 radius need the stagger to compensate for the curve.Now with guys using 10 and flatter.I do not think it makes much sense to stagger.But your a blues guy so why go flat pole?What do you prefer?What kind of pickups and what strat do you have? I have a USACG partscaster 9.5 radius.Jeff Chevalier Pickups(1967 bass/1959 middle&treble) all vintage stagger by model year.Great thought for a Thread!

Last edited:

doublee

on the other hand I have 7.25 radius at the nut and 9.5 as it goes down, and the bridge is set at 12" radius with flatpoles.....wether this is optimum I cant say but it works for me.

speedtaco

Thanks for the explanantion of the staggering Theon! I've never had staggared pickups and just installed some in my Deluxe strat. I cannot get used to the volume difference between E,B and the G,D strings.
Has anyone ever filed down a pole to adjust the volume?

blusman

Staggered for that vintage look.The old 7.25 radius need the stagger to compensate for the curve.Now with guys using 10 and flatter.I do not think it makes much sense to stagger.But your a blues guy so why got flat pole.What do you prefer?What kind of pickups and what strat do you have? I have a USACG partscaster 9.5 radius.Jeff Chevalier Pickups(1967 bass/1959 middle&treble) all vintage stagger by model year.Great thought for a Thread!
Mine's a partscaster...not sure of the radius. I'm planning on getting Lollar Dirty Blondes. I understand flat poles will create a more balanced sound.

Jed B

i like flat poles with a compound radius (10-16) for single coils......haven't had them long enough to hash out the differences between them and my staggards, but they definitely have a flair of their own (blues player as well.....)

theon

Silver Supporting Member
Bobby D your a wise man.How about that Duncan Broadcaster with the flat poles? speedtaco please do not try an file them down. Alnico magnets are very brittle they may chip. But if you like to have fun&do not mind destroying things by experimenting(i know i sure do)then get a Dremel tool set and go for it.

theon

Silver Supporting Member
Blusman go to the Pickguardian website.They have a PDF format file for a paper radius gauge.Download&print it out.Then you will know the radius of your fretboard.I hope this helps.

Bhodie

on the other hand I have 7.25 radius at the nut and 9.5 as it goes down, and the bridge is set at 12" radius with flatpoles.....wether this is optimum I cant say but it works for me.
You may want to set the bridge radius the same as the fretboard at the neck pickup.. otherwise the middle strings are closer to the neck than the outer strings... generally most techs set up the bridge to match that radius... (generally)

Robert1950

Flat poles for strats today. One of the reasons I swapped out my pups - G string was just to loud sometimes, and the high E and B strings not quite loud enough. I also have an semi hollow with flat wounds and I had to adjust the stud height similar to a staggered pole pup to get the sound even.

rwijaya

i have flat pole fralin on my current strat that has 12 inch radius. The saddle radius is around 16 inch.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
Its the Gear Page, homey. Whenever you have a question just ask yourself this "what is vintage?" then you will know what everyone around here will say.

kimock

Bobby D your a wise man.How about that Duncan Broadcaster with the flat poles? speedtaco please do not try an file them down. Alnico magnets are very brittle they may chip. But if you like to have fun&do not mind destroying things by experimenting(i know i sure do)then get a Dremel tool set and go for it.
You can de-mag a pole-piece with heat as well, tap it with a hot soldering iron.
That's how Fender balanced the old Tele pickups.
If you go too far, you can re-magnetize the pickup and start over, and you haven't physically destroyed anything by filing.

Trending Topics