Flat sawn vs Quarter sawn on Fender necks. FS sounds better to me.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tag, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I am totally convinced flatsawn sounds better, and is why Custom shop guitars do not sound like vintage Fenders. It is the piece of the puzzle that's missing. There is a "ping" and much harder attack, more treble, less bottom, and less of that nice elastic feel with quarter sawn necks.

Compared way to many Fenders of both types now that prove this beyond question. I sold my all my CS QS and now have a flat sawn. The best sounding CS Strat I have owned. I now am selling my CS Tele and ordering one with a flat sawn neck. Thicker, rounder, warmer, softer attack, and sounds and plays like the best vintage Fenders. Like anything, there are some exceptions, but this is the missing part. Fender goes about getting shapes right, the color of plastic parts, but then cuts the necks wrong on most.
    o_Oo_Oo_O

michael razor, Chops, korus and 15 others like this.
  2. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

I believe the Fender CS has recently gone rift saw heavy, which is even worse (as to sound and stability) to many.

JasonElGato and Tag like this.
  3. dazco

dazco Member

I just replaced the neck on my CV 60s strat to a 1/4 sawn. Not for that reason but DO like the look of 1/4 sawn maple. But i did it because the neck on mine had a fret that was installed crooked. It diodn't cause issues with intonation for whatever reason, not even when tested with a tuner. But it just bothered me so i kept my eye out for another one if the price was right. I found a great deal on another CV 60s neck and this one was 1/4 sawn. Anyways to the point, it's only one example but this one actually sounds slightly fuller and slightly crisper in the lows. Other then that no difference at all in tension or attack. I know exactly what u are describing in the attack and have had fenders like that, but this one has the same squish and richness as the old one. I was happy to find it was slightly better sounding albeit slight, because i have heard others say the same things about 1/4 sawn as you. Like i said, just one example but it just shows that even if u r correct that there are exceptions. I haven't had many 1/4 sawn necks and the ones i have had were years ago, so i can't really recall any issues like that.

Tag likes this.
  4. StockRock

StockRock Gold Supporting Member

Yes. And not just Fenders. Gibsons too. And there are good arguments out there that quartersawn isn’t even more stable in the correct way. I prefer flatsawn, and I think it is notable that Tom Anderson only does maple necks and they are all flatsawn. It is a more interesting and fuller sound to me.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    OverdriveLover and Tag like this.
  5. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Guitar players believe the weirdest things :)

6. FennRx

FennRx Member

Let’s do hearing the tonal differences between species of rosewood fretboards on electric guitars next

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

There is no better just different.

8. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Tag, this makes absolutely no sense. Would be curious to see other builders weigh in on this....

9. Zado

Zado Member

Honestly my Schecter Trad has QS neck and it's the fattest Strat I've ever played, maybe a lil too much at times. Neck construction might indeed deliver some differences, but honestly I wouldn't say QS necks sound thin or lack low end or fullness.

10. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Ain't that the truth.

11. The bear

The bear Member

My CS thinline tele has a rift sawn neck. It is the most stable guitar I have ever had. Never needs a truss rod adjustment and hardly ever goes out of tune. It’s a fat mild v(880-990). The guitar has a lot of low end.

Tag likes this.
  12. LReese

LReese Member

There's no worse?:anon

If I were to split hairs, there's a tendency for a slight difference between FS and QS. I think I like FS.

Tag likes this.
  13. Tag

Makes perfect sense. A bolt on neck guitars tone mostly comes from the neck. The way you cut that neck is going to make a difference tonally. It's not debatable. Which tone you like is up to the individual for sure, but flat sawn gives the guys who are after the vintage tones the goods. We have taken 16 guitars so far, 2 vintage, and it's been unanimous. The 5 flat sawns all have the bouncier feel, deeper thicker tones. Of course if you like SUPER twangy, bright immediate attack with little give, quarter sawn does that better.

Aardvark, JasonElGato, Rod and 7 others like this.
  14. wetordry

wetordry Member

Flimsy neck has big tone!
    It's the skunk stripe that has me thinking.

15. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

There's a phenomenon where you can watch the same video of a guy moving his mouth and you hear "pa" vs "ba" depending on what your mind thinks you will hear :)
    Not related. Just sharing a fun fact.

16. Tag

All those 60 year old vintage Fenders with the flimsy necks.

17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

funny, I have been fighting with a cheap ebay neck for a couple years now. It came as a baseball bat that hurt my hand to play, and had nothing going on in the tone department, it also introduced me to dead spots on the neck.

Interestingly, the more wood I remove off the back the more I like it, and not the just feel, the tone. I guessed it might be a neck to body weight ratio thing.

18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I use only gnomesawn necks.

Those little guys are master craftsmen.

:cool:

19. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

RIGHT...
    :facepalm

ecm1117, IAO, C-4 and 24 others like this.
  20. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

Well if Tag says it's not debatable then I guess it's set in stone... It is cute though that your understanding of wood only deals with the cut itself. There are many more factors but my experience actually cutting logs with my 088 and resawing logs on my bandsaw clearly can't compare to your keyboard prowess and the 16 guitars you've "measured". ;)

prototype, C-4, marktweedy and 32 others like this.