Flat sawn vs Quarter sawn on Fender necks. FS sounds better to me.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tag, Feb 8, 2020.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Hmmm...looks like an acoustic instrument. Makes one wonder what the impact the bodies of these guitars are having. Until you dig deeper added clips wont serve any good purpose save possibly disseminating more misinformation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

:facepalm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulino_Bernabe_Senior

Look at the top on the guitar. Look at the grain on both sides. It was specifically built that way to accentuate the highs and lows. Expand the frequency response.

Route67 likes this.
  3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Exactly my thought.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Evidently people have expressed the same view for years concerning QS necks- even down to almost the exact wording you used to describe them. No real evidence to support it though either.

From a 2010 thread "I always heard a plinkier, and faster note response for the attack, compared to my flatsawn necks." You guys know each other, lol?...

They too have little to back up their claims and perhaps this has carried forward to this point on disseminated misinformation but it goes at least a decade back here so... nothing new here.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  5. Route67

Route67 Member

I’m not sure if you’re looking for statistically relevant evidence, but I for one welcome your criticisms nonetheless. However, I will say there are individuals who do hear what tag is hearing (I do myself), but I don’t count on statistical evidence to prove subtle aesthetic considerations of tone -

rockon1 likes this.
  6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not exactly sure what you are saying. Here is what I am saying.

I hear differences in the recordings. I am not sure that they are because of the orientation of the neck grain. It has not been proven that it is from the neck grain orientation. I have good reason not to trust additional "evidence" presented to support the notion it is from the necks wood grain orientation. This is a very old controversy here on TGP.

willyboy likes this.
  7. Tag

What's cool about it is again, go back to my first test. Both my buddy and I picked the same guitars, and that in itself is RARE.
    :D He is a vintage lover through and through, me, very, very rarely. Then that we used the same descriptions you are quoting TOTALLY UNAWARE the guitars we liked were flat sawn
    Is more than a little intriguing!

Now because of this thread and the skepticism (Which for the most part is good!) I am finding top builders have known this and have been using it forever! A few very expensive builders are incorporating it into their builds now, and I have been sent info that Yamaha seems to have done similar way back in the 70s and 80s! :eek: All I can say is VERY, VERY INTERESTING!!

"Are your necks flat-sawn necks or quarter-sawn and what truss rod type is in your necks?"

Scott Lentz: "Always flat sawn"

Route67 likes this.
  8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Like I said search this topic and it goes WAY back here on TGP. Nothing new here. No new info really. Old news. Guys describing it in exactly the same manner as yourself.

10 years ago, post #2

"Had quite a few 1/4 sawn strat necks, Mostly all Fender CS, and some USACG. I always heard a plinkier, and faster note response for the attack, compared to my flatsawn necks. A little more of a "hi-fi" tone. Always exceptions but it seemed pretty consistent. I prefer flatsawn for tone."

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...e-any-downsides-to-quarter-sawn-maple.687552/

You should find comfort in that. First Ive heard of it but Ive only more recently ventured out of the hanging out in the Gear forums so Ive come to find out now I'm engaged in a stale debate. The thrill is gone...lol

9. Route67

Route67 Member

I dunno. I’ll go to a local pub with the most amazing 8 piece band, 3 piece horn section, anchored by the finest drumming, impeccable timing, light touch, and halfway through the first set almost everyone will be talking loudly with excitement - they’re aware something exciting is happening musically, but they haven’t made the connection to listen, rather their excitement manifests in socialization. When it comes to music and tone, a minority of affecianados ‘get it’, and the rest maybe in another life. When it comes to art, mob doesn’t rule and neither will statistical majority. Human hearing and perception is an extremely complex mechanism.

4styx and Tag like this.
  10. Route67

Route67 Member

Yes, actually the content of this thread is kind of like preaching to the choir, except the choir isn’t vocal on the forums and probably doesn’t want to be. In addition, the case for quarter sawn, in my opinion, is a matter of durability, whereas considerations of tone may be enjoyed by a minority outside of the public eye.

Tag likes this.
  11. Tag

Hey thanks for that. The entire thread pretty much mirrors mine and my buddies findings.
    Harder, plinkier, less harmonics, more fundamental notes. (More compression is a better fit imo)

Anyway, I did not need the backup as I am confident in my test results, but still cool to see guys 10 years ago finding the same thing.
    Put a lid on it, case closed.
    :p

Route67 likes this.
  12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Lol , you have an elegant way of beating around the bush. As far as "get it" goes in the analogy I disagree. Many "get it" but ...I'll leave at that.

At any rate for me to realize this debate has played out here a long time means it has legs. That also gives it stronger anecdotal evidence at least. More from 5 years ago

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...tele-flat-rift-or-quarter-sawn.1575697/page-2

Stiffer, brighter, etc....

Im done being "that guy" demanding evidence...for now, lol. I am dogged enough that given a couple fender QS I would investigate this deeper.
    For now I'll just keep it in mind.

Tag likes this.
  13. philster

philster Member

Just as now, all based on anecdotal, n=1 or 2 observations, therefore of no statistical relevance. And I am not saying there is not something to it, but as a physician who has to constantly assess statistics in medical literature, the claims of 100% certainty about this is just hilarious. All it takes is one example of the contrary, of which there would be MANY, and these declarations become a self own.

14. korus

korus Member

There is no need for 100% to be very useful for ears who hear the difference. This is not about a registered drug for treating humans.

Tag likes this.
  15. johnsav

johnsav Member

What is the purpose to writing in all caps?
    It makes your posts off-putting to read for me.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Agreed . Ive been combing thru old threads trying to glean insight though. The fact its an old debate doesn't add validity, in fact, it might be the opposite- more of a self bolstering effect...or not. I have not to my knowledge said its not true.

17. philster

philster Member

You are directing this at the wrong person.

18. korus

korus Member

Ok, sorry.

19. Tag

Hey Phil,
    I have said I am sure there are exceptions, and as you say, probably a lot of them. There are thousands and thousands of Teles out there.
    I am saying I am 100% sold there is a difference, not every FS is great and every QS is bad. I have had both dead flat sawns and dead QSs myself.

Route67 and korus like this.
  20. korus

korus Member

.q