Flat sounding Asat Classic

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by plexiclone, Dec 6, 2017.

1. plexiclone

plexiclone Member

I recently got a NOS 2014 Asat Classic. Took it to a local luthier for a set up after the guitar was acclimated to my house and changed 10's for 9's. The guitar sounds flat, lifeless, dead on the high E, B, and G no matter what strings I put on it. The G has a ghost ringing when it's open but I can live with that. This is my first G&L that has sounded like this; I also have a SC-2, two Legacy's and a tribute Blues Boy and they all sound amazing. Each one of the other G&L's ring for days when the strings are strummed. This Asat Classic doesn't ring when the open strings are strummed. It almost sounds like there is an old school mute by the bridge.

Is the nut cut too low?

Cheers,
    Steve

2. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

To rule out the nut, strum a D chord.
    Does it sound lifeless as well?

A quick way (not the best way..) to check for proper action at the nut is to fret the string at the 2nd fret, then check that you have a tiny gap at the 1st fret. Just enough to hear a "tic" when you press it against the fret.

Otherwise, check the action, your bridge saddles might be too low.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. plexiclone

plexiclone Member

Thanks for the reply! Bridge saddles are almost maxed out. Strumming a D chord is pretty lifeless with some sitar thrown in for good measure. The relief up by the 10th fret is within official G&L specs.
    I'll try your 2nd fret technique when I get home from work.

4. plexiclone

plexiclone Member

There is a gap between the strings and the first fret when I press on a string on the 2nd fret. That makes me feel better. I gave the neck a 16th of a turn on the truss rod for relief. We will see how it is in a bit. Thanks for the help Lobotomie!

5. plexiclone

plexiclone Member

Still sounds as dead as the Monty Python blue parrot. The nut started moving in the nut slot on the neck. I wonder if it was loose all along; it did sit in a music store for 3 years. Back to the luthier tomorrow.

6. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

This might be a hint.
    Not super familiar with ASAT bridges, but the bridge saddles maxed out could cause an issue. Neck might need a shim.

But at this point, yeah...

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

plexiclone and Cal Webway like this.
  7. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Silver Supporting Member

Yea, had an Asat Classic w a bridge near maxed for my medium action. Shimmed at the hdstock end and tonally it helped too, believe it or not.

plexiclone likes this.
  8. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

If it does it only when playing open strings, check the nut.

Across the board, open or fretted check the relief - fret the low E string simultaneously at the first and 14th fret, and check for a bit of an air gap between the 7th fret and the string - a business card's thickness worth is a good amount.

Not certain of your guitar, but iirc they have those 6 offset saddles where the string is biased to one side of center, and if there's not even string pressure on the 2 height adjustment screws, the string can lose a lot of acoustic power.

plexiclone likes this.
  9. plexiclone

plexiclone Member

I re-glued the nut into the neck slot and that made the Asat a bit more lively sounding. The saddles are stepped and based on a quick glance, it appears all the saddle screws are touching the bridge base plate. The idea of a neck shim sounds like a winner. I'll be taking it to Dave's Guitar on Saturday to see what they think.