Flattering Rory Gallagher talk from Brian May

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by teleman1, Dec 13, 2016.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

2. markedman

markedman Supporting Member

Thank you, Rory influenced me immensely and I got to meet him once in 1981 at Toad's Place in Waterbury, CT, he was so nice, he played a little mini concert on an acoustic guitar privately for me and then we talked gear. He told me how the neck on his 1959/61 stratocaster was brand-new because the old one would warp out from the amount of sweat and had been fixed three times but he couldn't use it on that tour. He had new Ibanez humbucking pick ups that looked like single coil they were black and he was trying them for the first time so he turned on his is amp and asked me what I thought! Gerry McAvoy, his bass player was sitting on a barstool at the door and my buddy talked to him the whole time, we were just discussing it this weekend when we met up to jam it is such a great memory.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

That warms my heart. I actually met Brian twice and he was SUCH a gentleman and gave me the exact time and respect he describes while I was the young fan. I was lucky to also get to play a festival on the same bill in Germany.

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing this!

6. teleman1

Went to see the KINKS. A new band opened that I wanted of the stage right when they got on and I thought they stunk;REO Speedwagon. I wanted to see the KINKS! So another intermission, and it is announced that another act was coming on. I am lived and want to BOOO. This guy comes on in a plade long sleeve, levies and I am thinking cowboy rock? Where are the dang KINKS? THe guy open his mouth and started singling and playing: you never saw an audience won over in seconds like that. Incredible energy and if you have read this far, you know how I was feeling from this experience. Ray Davies walks out and says, how bout a hand for RORY Gallagher. THank god the Kinks were in true form cause Rory could have stole the whole show. Bit the Kinks were in true form and they were also awesome This was at the Hollywood Palladium, 1973.

7. teleman1

BTW, his nice, came across on stage. Only other artist I ever say who gave that extra warm and friendly feeling making you feel good and wanted was BB King. May does not exaggerate. I guess you guys meeting him made you feel even more;WHY AIN"T THIS GUY WAY BIGGER THAN HE IS!

8. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I stumbled on that too and enjoyed it immensely. Both great guys. I like how self aware May is about his fame, saying Rory was about the music.

9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Rory was a huge inspiration to Brian May, The Edge and Johnny Marr, all of whom saw him play many times.

10. Strat335

Strat335 Member

In the late 70s I went to see Rory at the Texas Opry House, I was 17 or 18, for some reason I was by myself. Some older fellow, long hair sitting right in front of me turned around and stared at me for a while with a smile on his face and he asked me if I had ever seen Rory. When I told him I hadn't, he said to hang on, I was about to see something I would never forget. He seemed to really enjoy the fact I was there, and now I know why. He was right, I have never ever seen such a force of nature entertain a crowd and he played like he was possessed. I got to see Rory and Roy Buchanan there, each twice, along with others around the same time. Good days.