Flatwound strings on a flat-top acoustic/electric - opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fauxkinbacker, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

I'm looking into getting a small-bodied acoustic/electric; something i can curl up on the couch with and also use for shows. I can't stand roundwound strings, though, as the squeak and noise is just too much when playing jazz.
    I have a few concerns:

1. The guitar won't sound like a traditional acoustic anymore (which isn't a problem), but I'm worried it will sound unpleasant. Flatwounds have a tendency to sound a little sickly when played hard and I'm worried this will show through - I'm hoping the small body will make it more archtop sounding, though.

2. I'm concerned the preamp EQ won't be able to control the frequencies well enough to get a good sound.

3. Unrelated to flatwounds; I don't have an acoustic amp, would a standard amp work well enough if it was set to a flat, clean tone?

Most of this is probably unwarranted, but I don't want to deal with returning a guitar and shipping, etc.
    Any opinions or experience?

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Try it,if it sux,go back to regular acoustic strings-don't forget to reset the relief with the new strings.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Pay for a pack of strings and ask them to string it up in the store for you. Most places will do this for you I've found.

GAD

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

If you want to know what flatwounds on an acoustic sound like, have a listen to the Beatles first album "Please Please Me"

The volume produced by the guitar will be greatly reduced, you'll be bashing away pretty hard to keep up with someone with rounds.

You'll get a great percussive sound that is so prominent on the early Beatles tunes, if you can make it work, do it!

5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

I use D'Addario Flat Tops on my acoustics. They're round wounds machined down to simulate the feel of flats with the tone of rounds.