Flatwounds on a lap steel?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 8Painting, Mar 20, 2008.

1. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Wouldn't that make sense?

I played a lap steel a few days ago, and it had roundwounds, and the strings just rattled/sounded bad.

Is this common to use flats, or am I just an idiot?

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It depends on the player and the sound you want. Some like the brighter, growl of the round wound strings. Some prefer the smooth feel and tone of the flats. I use rounds, I know another cat that likes the flats. He plays more Texas swing stuff, I do pop, rock, county stuff on mine, sometimes with the distortion- that's when the round wounds give up the goods. The clean, even and slightly smoother sound of the flats is a cool option, and one I'd explore if I had more than one steel lying around.

J

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Thanks for the info man, what gauge do you normally run?

And what kind of tonebar are you using?

4. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I like a Stevens myself. I use heavy strings, but it's time to experiment with some lighter stuff so I can go into higher tunings.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Don't know about flats personally ... the only rattling, sounding bad I've heard came from too light strings. Heavy bar, heavy strings = bigger tone, less rattling. YMMV.

6. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Unless you're going for an absolutely authentic 40's Bob Wills sound, it really doesn't make much difference. I've tried both, and like Mad Dog just said, it's more about using heavy strings and having good bar technique.