Flatwounds overview please

Beakertwang

So after about a week with the D'Addario Chromes (11s), I like the overall sound, but I find them very difficult to bend. Absolutely not anywhere close to regular 11s. It'll be good to challenge my playing,though. I'll give the T-I 10s a shot in a month or two.

friend33

Gold Supporting Member
The Chromes are rather stiff strings.

My favorite flats are TI's.

Some things about flats:
Up until the very very late 60's, all were using flats in every genre. Then the changeover happened.
Fret wear is greatly reduced with flats.
Flats will last longer between string changes.
Flats do not sound like a$$ with OD/fuzz.
They can sound great with any guitar - try them! I currently use flats on my JM, Jag, and ES-175, but I've had good results with my teles in the past as well.

JokeSmuggler

Silver Supporting Member
So after about a week with the D'Addario Chromes (11s), I like the overall sound, but I find them very difficult to bend. Absolutely not anywhere close to regular 11s. It'll be good to challenge my playing,though. I'll give the T-I 10s a shot in a month or two.

That's what I found too. I was actually playing .12s in the Chromes and you really couldn't get much of a pitch change even when you did bend because the tension is so high. The TI Swings are a lot better for bends. I play .11s in the TI but I don't bend all that often. If you are wanting a lot of whole-step bends, I would go with the .10s for sure; it's some work doing that on the 11s. I can't really say much for the other brands that people mentioned; I tried TI and don't see any reason to try others yet.

Ben Furman

I can't really say much for the other brands that people mentioned; I tried TI and don't see any reason to try others yet.

Pyramids are a bit brighter, so they are good for maximum jangle. They also maintain their brightness even longer than the T-Is, but they cost more up front.

I'm thrilled with T-Is. After experimenting with lots of less expensive strings, including both round and ground wound types, I don't find any reason to move away. (I haven't tried Mangan's electric strings yet, tho.). The only thing the T-Is don't work well for is my 7-string's low B. That requires a short-scale bass string that just isn't as lively as the rest of the set.

FreeBlues

Silver Supporting Member
What gauges are you T-I and Pyramid users using? I've looked into buying some sets and can't quite figure out what to get.

I'm thinking using these on my Tele which is currently strung with 11-50.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
What gauges are you T-I and Pyramid users using? I've looked into buying some sets and can't quite figure out what to get.

I'm thinking using these on my Tele which is currently strung with 11-50.

Hi, long time T-I user here. The Thomastik Jazz Swing Light set is .011-.047. Since flats are a little bit higher tension than the same gauge in round wound, that will be very close to your existing strings in overall tension, probably. You'll still have to do a setup to compensate for the wound G.

As I mentioned above, the Optima jazz flats are another comparable set of strings. I currently have their set of .010-.049's on a Tele and that set would also be pretty close in tension to what you're using now. T-I and Optima are both great string choices IMO. I have no experience with Pyramid.

Ben Furman

Pyramids are stiffer, so I would recommend going down a gauge if you try them. Also, be careful to bend the ends before cutting them. This is especially critical for the wound G.

I find T-Is to be rather slinky, but I still use 10s. Most shops don't carry the lighter gauge, so I buy them online.

I believe the George Bensons have a heavier bottom.

mojotele65

My two favorite things about flats, 1.)the way the note dies/decays, it is quicker than rounds in my opion. 2.) the way they sound with Fuzz pedals. If you have more than one guitar, you owe it to yourself to have at least one with flats on it.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Just got a couple packs show up in the mail this morning of Thomastik Jazz Swing 12-50 for my Heritage Hollowbody. Have always absolutely loved them on this guitar. Thanks to Strings and Beyond.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom