Flavors of OD : american blues / rock / US, UK...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by newstrat60, Dec 19, 2005.

1. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Hi everyone

As some know, I am looking for an OD pedal for playing in clean amp (Blues Jr), with my strat, at appartment volumes, for MAIN RYTHM CRUNCH WORK so think 60's/70 rock

I am hesitating beetween Eternity, TIM, FDII10th, maybe BJFE, Klon etc...

after reading lotsa different & instructive threads, i've seen that Eternity could sound "American Blues", BJF more "english crunch" etc etc so one question remains :

What flavor have those OD pedals ? :confused:

does it make sense ?

2. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Ive got a tim that does a nice job of low volume british blues crunch type of sound (the boost channel engaged) Iam also jonesing for the bjf dyna red, i heard these too work real good together. I dont see how anybody could be disapointed with a tim pedal.~ teleblaster :AOK

3. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Thanks, i've heard some clips (maybe Gainster's), found them nice "rock-indy-typed" indeed, but i fear that TIM could be not compressed enough for my Strat '60 and blueJr...

what do you think ?

4. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

The only pedal I've been using lately is the Barber LTD (the old, black version). It compresses a bit, and feels great both for lead and rhythm. It may not be super dynamic, but I like it a lot... (and play mostly at bedroom volumes too)

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Well let me see, I think a tim has enough boost on the first switch to throw the blues jr. into a fit. With the boost engaged you could pad it down to room volume and probaly get some nice grind with a strat. I personaly use telecasters through a tweed twin/ deluxe and my gibson GA - 20. The tim works great with these amps either for padding down for room volume or all-out blasting.I think the tim would give you some nice med. gain and alot of features: great EQ, a pull-out knob on the boost that changes the clipping ( i think) it kind of makes it either real gritty or kinda round. and two switches to play with. Teleblaster :JAM

6. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

thangs guys, so the TIM is an option and could compress the signal enough for beeing friendly with my Strat

any Eternity "garage rock" users ?

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

the klon has more of a dirty "clean" boost type of reputation..

Ive heard some of the Vstack pedals, they sound really good at low volumes, although ive never tried one with a band, some have said they dont cut through very well.

8. bluescube

bluescube Member

Reccomendations from a cheap gear guy:

Boss OD-3
    Subdecay Stupid Box

9. drcarr

drcarr Member

not sure how different it is tonally from the Tim, but my favorite "dirty" pedal on my board is a Timmy. can't rave enought about it from clean to nasty dirty. i only play strats thru various amps. great pedal.