Flaw with a boutique strat would this bother you

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pageburst, Feb 13, 2008.

1. pageburst

pageburst Member

A buddy of mine bought a boutique S Type guitar on ebay. Built by a well regarded boutique builder, I have to say it's a phenomenal sounding guitar.

While we were changing strings my buddy decided to take the pickguard off and noticed on the left side of the neck pocket was routed out a little too far. As if someone was drunk when they were doing the neck cavity route.

Now to be fair, since this was purchased used it might have done by the previous owner. I also must say that I have much respect for all the boutique builders out there. In a world where everything is about mass production and cost, it is nice to see that craftsmen devoted to hand crafting and/or assembling instruments one at a time can survive and thrive. That is why I will not mention the builders name and to be fair the excessive touting could have been done by the previous owner.

Anyay the guitar sounds great but my buddy being a bit of a neurotic is considering either replacing the body or selling it.

So what would you all do. Should he contact the builder and request to purchase another strat body? My concern would be that a different body could make the guitar sound different. Should he leave well enough alone. It is an awesome sounding Srat although the pickups and neck must also play a part in that tonal equation.

I think I may buy it if he sells it as I cannot detect any sonic shortcomings for the over zealous neck pocket route.

All comments suggestions are welcome and appreciated

2. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Easy, put the pickguard back on and enjoy.

3. Baggins

Baggins Member

Absolutely.

4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

We got bingo - especially since it is a used guitar...

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Well if it really bugs the guy, most boutique builders will talk to him about their work. Can't hurt to call, or send an email with good pictures to the person who made the guitar. Just don't count on much, esp. if it's something done aftermarket. Is this something that's too late to handle through ebay and the seller if it's determined it's aftermarket buffoonery?

But like those before me said, if it sounds good and feels fine, who cares?

6. pageburst

pageburst Member

Thanks all.

Being a buddy I will implore to keep this amazing instrument. If he refuses i will offer to buy it.

Keep the comments coming

7. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

I'm with the others here, although I would like to see a picture of the issue,

8. mslmg

mslmg Member

"Never remove the pickguard"...or was it "never get out of the boat" (Apocalypse Now).

9. anyone

anyone Member

yep!

10. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Plays and sounds nice is more important than looks nice, IMHO

11. TomK

TomK Member

Look - I don't know your buddy but if that bothers him to the point of actually considering replacing the body then - sheesh - get a frickin life. It's a guitar! If it looks good, plays good and sounds good you have a winner. Seriously - enjoy the guitar!

12. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Geez -- the guitar sounds "phenomenal" and "awesome."

If you bought a thoroughbred and it was winning races for you and then you discovered one of its legs was slightly too long, would you sell it? Or replace the leg? Or just keep winning races? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

13. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I do not understand this kind of nuerotic thinking.

The feel and tone of a good guitar far outweigh ANY shortcomings.

Matt

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I understand the thinking and its not necessarily neurotic. There are situations I experience, both with tangible and intellectual products, where when I find out the builder or authors included something he or she knew or should have known was wrong, my respect for the work can decrease, especially when in an area that looks like the flaw was deliberately covered up or buried. When that happens, the first question I ask myself is, "What else?" Often it's nothing else but it does raise the question.

With the guitar is question, I'd go over it with a fine-toothed comb looking for any other signs of workmanship flaws or defects. If none, I'd keep it but I still might ask the builder, "What gives with this?" How the builder responds would be interesting information, if nothing else.

15. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

It all depends . . . if this guitar is a keeper and he loves the tone/playability . . . . . . forget about it.

If there is a chance he may sell it and have to explain all this to the potential purchaser . . . . maybe it's an issue that should be addressed.

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Very good point, dan. So often, the same people who mock you as neurotic when it's you who's caring about a flaw will refuse to buy the product or use the flaw to try to significantly negotiate down the purchase price when they are the buyers.

I can't tell you how nice and lucrative it's been for me, over the years, to sell my own used gear more often than not in excellent-to-like new condition. That's when my minor efforts to take care of my gear over time routinely return huge dividends.

17. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Done purposefully as a place to store your stash.

18. Dave

Dave Member

This is my thinking as well. The flaw itself wouldn't bother me if it didn't affect the guitar's tone or playability. It's the fact that the builder either chose to ignore it or didn't notice it(unlikely) to begin with.

A few years ago I custom ordered a guitar from a very well respected builder. At the end of the headstock on the back side was some tear away, a good 1/4" long and the sides of the headstock looked like they weren't sanded well enough before the finish was applied. Every time I noticed those flaws the only thing I could think was, how could he/they not notice this, and if they did, why did they let it go out the door?

19. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

looks good/sounds good = is good

molehill --> mountain

20. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I agree!