Fleetwood Mac - 12 people on stage?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rollyfoster, Mar 1, 2015.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Just got home from it and have a few questions. If anybody has any info please share.

The core 5, 3 backup singers, 2 guitar/keyboards, a drummer behind Mick, and some other dude next to him...

That's a lot of people. I'm most curious about the 2 drummer dudes behind mick. On was playing pretty much the entire time with an electronic pad thing and some cymbals, which were pretty much the only audible part. I have no idea what his purpose really was. The dude next to him, from what i could tell, was playing with some computer ****.

I was reallt expecting just the 5 of them and one or two extras. It just seemed like overkill. Maybe the sound was so terrible i couldnt make a lot of it out?

2. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like Mick is air drumming to get through the show by choice or not. Not surprised.

3. rollyfoster

He was playing but perhaps not with as much power as he used to. I guess maybe this dude was just adding some beef to the snare or something.

4. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Here's the reason:

People pay $100+ a ticket you expect the music coming from the stage to sound like the album. The Fleetwood Mac albums are fantastic productions with layers of multi-tracked vocals and instrumentation.
    To recreate that sound in a live setting you have a couple of choices:
    1. play with pre-recorded backing tracks
    2. add extra musicians onstage to fill out the sound and to play all the extra parts that were layered in.

[​IMG]
    Looking at the pictures of their current touring setup you can
    see a percussionist behind Mick with an electronic kit.
    The gentleman next to him is sitting in front of a road case with some sort of rack gear.
    I don't know what he's doing specifically but my guess is that he's running Pro Tools, or something similar, which is the master clock for the show and probably plays back the click track that everyone is hearing in their IEMs and playing to. It could also be playing back pre-recorded backing tracks, switching patches for the keys and guitars, etc...

As for the rest of the musicians?
    You need them to double the parts, so it sounds like it original album.
    Or you need them to play the original parts while the original band members are doing something like in case of Christine McVie who sings some songs at the mic while not playing keys.
    In the old days she would do both, but now that she has a utility keyboardist onstage
    she doesn't have to which allows her to concentrate on the her vocals.

5. lennokez

lennokez Member

Good answer.

6. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

They're transitioning into "The Beach Boys" phase of their career:red

7. dmr34

dmr34 Member

I was at the Chicago show. While I was also curious about the 2nd percussionist... Mick Fleetwood pounded the drums with ferocity all night, including an extended drum solo as part of the encore.

Great show and great sound.

8. radicool

radicool Member

I've seen this lineup live many times, and except for the early days - '70s - they've pretty much always had some extra help live. The 2 guitar/keyboard guys have been in Lindsey's own band for many years. And jammy is right: they are there to make to live show sound like the record. They can all still bring it, despite their age, but it wouldn't sound like the record with just the 5 of 'em.

9. DRS

DRS Member

Well, they're not Rush.

10. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Saw them in Ft. Lauderdale in December. After the show I read up a little bit on their productions over the last 20 years. The extra drummer is apparently Mick's tech, and he's been adding parts at their shows for a long time. Don't know about the guy doing the programming.

IMHO, if you're going to use extra musicians, I'd rather see them on stage than have them hidden away.

The sound at the show we attended was excellent, which surprised me because it was in a hockey arena.

11. NormH3

NormH3 Member

I saw them the last time they toured some years ago at a venue in New Jersey. Christine hadn't rejoined them at that time and I believe the keyboard player was a young man. I seem to recall there was a second drummer with a full kit at that time. He played in unison with Mic and was very kewl to watch. I believe there was also a guy playing large floor drums (bongos...not sure of the official name)

12. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

Yep, +1

13. torgeot

torgeot Member

I like the idea of extra musicians on stage rather than backing tracks to make it sound like the original recordings

14. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I saw them in 2004 without Christine. Even then, they had Stevie's backup singers, two extra guitars, keys and a percussionist. I thought they sounded TOO good. When I want to see a live band I want to see them play live, not try to recreate the studio album onstage.

15. rollyfoster

Admittedly, this kind of show (recreating the album sound) isn't really in my wheelhouse and it was a wife's choice evening.

I probably wouldn't have thought much of it if they didn't have the 2 guys hiding in the back...it just seemed a bit disingenuous...everybody else is out in the open.

16. option1

option1 Member

I agree.

I'm not going to criticize them for doing it the way they have, it obviously is a choice they have to make - raw/live 5 piece vs. album-sounding big setup.

Personally, I'd prefer to see any band doing the raw/live thing, but it's easy to understand why they went the other way. Nothing is surer than they'd have a ton more people moaning, complaining and criticizing if they didn't sound like the albums.

Neil

17. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I figure there's a chance the hidden players prefer it that way. If the second drummer is Mick's tech, it is probably smarter to have him tucked away, so A) he doesn't have to worry about putting on "stage clothes" for teching and B) he can leave his kit and go to work fixing any issue that might come up with Mick's kit.

I thought the weirdest thing about the show we saw was Stevie and Mick coming out to speak to the crowd after the last encore was done. Apparently that's a long-standing habit for them as well. I thought it was awkward.

18. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

The vast majority of spectators do not want to see the spare, non-famous back up musicians - therefore, stage space is not wasted on them.

19. rollyfoster

Right, but there were 5 other spare, non-famous back up musicians in clear view. And there technically was stage space wasted because their setup needed an extra 10 feet behind the band so the stage was comically enormous.

20. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I would say you are in the minority. Whether good or bad, the take that winds up on the recording is the "right" way to play the tune. Anything else is less than. This is true for so many people.

I prefer when bands rearrange their hits or really stretch out. Others, not so much.