fletcher landau pickups/super champ xd/eggie

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by mentoneman, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

tone explorer

new amp - new pickups - new clips! :banana
    fender super champ xd and eggie tol 100 in stereo--eggie is on a EV 112L cab and i have a CAE isolation transformer plugged in line to the input to eliminate ground hum between the two amps.
    both amps set clean and hit with the tone press/tonebone/space echo.

since this is not my main guitar i struggled with the neck and action a bit... it's a narrow neck and the strings are not very even height wise, particularly the high E kept disappearing on me :messedup but i thought the tone was nice so i rolled with it.

observation: lacked some EJ breathy air and bottom gong... echoplex modulation and JBLS/Jensens, where are you???

the last shreddy part was just spazzing to make the rig feel fluent under my fingers...the different camera position made it more washy sounding...not too bad for day one experimentation but there are some C L A M S :thud

forgive me!!!

2. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I like your playing no matter what rig you use. I really dug your old rig too. Killer tones.I just put some Suhr FL pups in my guitar too. They are great sounding. Keep the clips coming.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Nice setup and playing as usual. Are those pickups the FL Standards or Classics? Space Echo sounds great in stereo too, I love my DD-20 but have yet to try the Space Echo.

Do you still have the Direct Drive, OD-820?

4. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

thanks G-

i was invited up to mojave ampworks a little over a week ago and got to test drive some of vic's latest amp prototypes....wow!

i will still declare like a broken record that the ultimate tone rig for me would be a mojave for dirt and a two rock for cleans!

although a hedgehog, sig x, mod 50, xtc classic, and herbert woudn't stink!:banana

5. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

those are the standards

i did a little mp3 shootout with the FLs, my Kinman AVN 59s and a set of Fralin Vintage Hots straight into the super champ:

single coil shootout

all different guitars but you get the pic-

the space echo is kinda romantic to me...i have the original tape echo in my garage but it's not alive at the moment, so the look and layout of the digital repro has a charm i dig and the tone is nice...not quite as nice as the replex i let go--in fact nothing in the pedal delay family has dethroned it in my mind's ear:cry:

the direct drive and the OD820 are wonderful pedals---i favored the extra headroom and tonal range of the 820-- but alas both have left the bldg

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

You got a tape echo, or original Roland Space echo? Or maybe I am missing something. Was the original roland tape based as well?

The Replex was nice but very $$ and big.

What other od's are you currently using besides the TB Classic?

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Was that the order? FL's, Kinmans, Fralins? If so, prefered the FL's. I've had a set of FL's and VH's in my Grosh. But how much of the tone is influenced by the different guitars? Were all the same specs? Alder/rw or alder/maple, ash?

8. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

You sound good Pat! And the sounds are real nice too!

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I have the 150 space echo and it is a tape echo.
    i'll try to post a pic of it tonight.

the od i currently use with my live eggie rig is a bb preamp...very nice with higher gain amps.

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

The order is correct.
    the guitars;
    FL pickups in Mexi strat w/alder body maple neck

Kinman AVN 59s in Tyler ash body/ rosewood neck

Fralins vintage hots in 57 reissue alder body/maple neck

11. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

Bud!

I miss you man!

I was just hanging with Kim and talking story about some crazy gig you guys did Maui where the hotel crew quit and you guys had to cook potato soup and omlettes for the guests and then take off the aprons and play!

Seawind rules!
    any new toys?? Does your son still work at fulltone?

Aloha!

12. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm loving your clean tones.I just put a set of FL's in my CS 65 Strat.So far I really like them.

BTW did you ever solve the cube :D

13. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Silver Supporting Member

very cool demo

thanks for posting.

14. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

picture of space echo

it needs a new tape--but overall they did a good job with the look and functionality of the digital pedal

15. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Nice! Man, that thing is huge though. Surprised you got rid of the Replex. How close is the RE-20 to the actual tape unit?

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The Kinmans and Fralins were a tossup for me.... maybe an ever so slight edge to the Fralins. But for my tastes, the FLs were a distant 3rd.

17. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I felt the fralins had the edge for resonant alnico tone, the fls had more sparkle but decayed quicker, and the kinmans felt and sounded stiffer in a ceramic way. Harsher attack, quickest decay of the three.

The fralins were in a strat with a callaham bridge so that could influence the deal...

18. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

it's a lot simpler to use live that's for sure!
    but as tone goes, the tape echo has a dynamic feel and vintage sweetness that i just don't hear in digital gear yet.

when i turn up vintage effects it gets exponentially fatter and cooler sounding.
    when i turn up digital emulation of vintage gear, it just gets louder and not necessarily "cooler" sounding.

19. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

since i don't wanna make a new thread for a pedal that's been reviewed quite a bit, here's a quick moment with the ever fat and sassy zendrive 2!

guitar horn

very reminiscent of my time with a fuchs ods 100 lead tone

i used the fender superchamp xd's tweed model (#3 on the voice knob) and the built in reverb/delay setting and ooh la la did it sound chewy with my tyler!

20. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Sounds great man! It sounds like it feels really good to play, if that makes any sense.