Flexi isn't enough...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mike d., Aug 26, 2008.

1. mike d.

mike d. Member

How can I get more headroom from my THD Flexi head? I have some ehx el-34 as power tubes right now, and I feel I'm not getting all the flexibility out of the amp because I run it on almost full power. For example the master on/off -switch is unusable now, cause the volume is already almost full up. It won't change the sound (or the volume) remarkably if I switch it on (or off).

Would different power tubes give me some more headroom to fiddle with? My current band just plays so damn loud that I feel the Flexi loses it's "flexibility" because of that. Or am I forced to figure out something else?

All answers are appreciated!

P.s. Sorry for my lousy english :)

2. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

6550's might give a little bit more, but unlikely to really be a major difference.

What are you running for speakers? If you add cab(s) to the same amp you might be amazed at how much more volume you drive, and you may 'get back' some of the master flexibility. Will change tone some if you're currently overdriving the speakers heavily since with more drivers you'll obviously drive them less hard, but that might be good or bad depending on your speakers and tone.

3. mike d.

mike d. Member

Speakers are V30's in a Orange cab, and they sound good. Actually it's the best sounding cab what i've used with the Flexi. I also liked some Marshall re-issue cab w/Greenbacks... maybe the two cabs would make a good couple.

I don't know. Maybe I'll try those 6550's. At least it's cheaper then to buy a second cab right away...

4. mailman

mailman Member

Man, Mike...your band MUST be loud, if you can't cut through with the Flexi!!! Mine frigging rattles the windows at 3:00 position! Other than recommending your mates bring it down a few notches, perhaps Ed DeGenaro at THD can offer you a professional solution. Hey Ed, you out there? ;)

5. mike d.

mike d. Member

I know we are LOUD. Our drummer is the main reason, heh. And the music we play is kinda sorta heavy...

I can cut through with the Flexi. It's just that I would like to maintain some of the amps flexibility. Or maybe I just can't understand the way to do it yet.....

I think I need more time alone with the Flexi and see what I can come up.

Thanks for the comments!

6. mailman

mailman Member

Mike, I feel yer pain, but I really think Ed D. can offer you some good solutions...ya just need to get his attention! You can contact him at thdelectronics.com
    Enjoy your Flexi!!!!!

7. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

+1... added a bit more to my UniValve.

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Probably lower gain preamp tubes and bigger power tubes (6550 or maybe KT88) will get you where you want to go.

9. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Replace one of the 34s with a SED 6550-C and bisa the amp to 35 mil instead of 25. What impedance is your cab? I'm guessing 16 ohm?
    Setting on the amp?

10. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

That must be loud. What are you running the preamp volume at? I have found I can get it to cut better at volume by playing with the EQ.