Flexi Love...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Gotta few minutes in yesterday and today on the Flexi (got a great deal on a used one) and man; this is a whole new world for me.

This amp is very unique; my first THD amp. They have some very different controls and getting my head around them is going to take a while.

But just even off the bat, trying a few tubes and just playing with it; this is one amp that will keep you honest. You can't "coast" while playing this, it gives up what you give it. Exceptionally responsive no matter what tubes in it.

I have a lot of learning to do with this thing. It doesn't sound like any amp I have ever owned; I love the aggressive yet smooth distortion character; especially how the upper mids are voiced. This thing will CUT in the mix.

The scary thing is the cleans, which honestly I was very suspect of. Man, ring and even chime are in this thing. Big round and just enough grit to add some musical traction to the tone. Fun!

And the journey begins.....

2. AD

AD Supporting Member

Hey Scott, I didn't realize you were jonesin for one of these. Still love mine.

Try these settings that I got from fellow member Brent Seatter:\

Input Hi
    Volume: 3 O'clock (same for below)
    Treble: 1
    Middle: 3
    Bass: 9
    Bright off
    Boost: full
    Gain: full
    Tone: 12
    Cut: 12

By [playing with the volume on the guitar, you can get a decent clean to a sreaming Marshall

3. davebc

davebc Member

Let me be the the first to congradulate you!
    There was a mint /used one at the local GC that I've come really close to swiping the card on a couple of times,but I still have Master Card blisters from my recent 54 Masterbuilt.The Flexi samples have been outstanding.I'd really be interested in hearing your review as the journey begins.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Scott Peterson = The Odysseus of Gear

When I checked out the Flexi last year, I found it to be a very cool amp but not my cup o' tea. Congrats on the new acquisition.

5. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

Yep! :dude I usually run the Cut, Treble, and Tone a bit higher than that, but that's where the Flexi magic is at! :D

My addiction to channel-switching amps is cured.

6. mailman

mailman Member

Scott, Glad you finally "found" the Flexi! The tonal possibilities never seem to stop either...'cause I've had mine for a year and a half and STILL am amazed at its sensitivity with a few knob notches! Not to mention tube-swapping...:D
    ---Glenn A.

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Flexis rock. 6550 and EL34 combination in the power slots makes for a sweet sound!

8. markp

markp Member

I have been a stay at home player for a year and I I have done nothing but tweek on my Flexi And work on my dynamics.I am A new man.

Scott,I saw you post over at uni/net about hot plate.Match made in heavon, master off and 1 click on the hotplate, its magic.
    Tip 2 would be pickup height,bitey and agresive up high,smoothed out down low.I like neck pickup on strat almost level with pick gaurd,and it will cleanup going from 10 down to 9 and be perfectly clean and that is on high gain setting(boost dimed high input)
    There is alot of fun tweeking ,but stock tubes are really pretty good.
    I am liking 1 stock 34 mixed with 1 GT 6CA7(I like alot of mixed tubes but I would also agree with 1 6550 in there also)Three GT 12ax7,and switch v2 with at7 or 5751 at times.

Have fun!

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Congrats Scott! Flexi is a very different beast! I love mine, give it some band time and I think that you would be amazed! :)

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Congrats Scott.

How does it compare to your VHT?

11. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I love mine too......
    I swapped out the stock power tubes for a pair of EH KT88's and put a JJ High Gain 12AX in V2....and WOW, it's a completely different amp.
    In stock form it sounded amazing...but with this tube setup, it has way more clarity, a drop more gain when nailed, and even more articulation. It tightened up ALOT and made the low end clear as a bell with no mud on it.
    They are amazing amps.
    Something has to be said for an amp that can scream like it does, and merely lowering you guitars volume brings out the cleanest cleans with no loss of volume....
    Like Ed D says....
    "Who needs a channel switcher when you have a volume knob on your guitar"
    :D:D:D
    Steve

12. Scott Peterson

It doesn't, which is part of my attraction. This is a different thing than any other amp I have owned. But I need to log some hours learning its ways. The Tube swapping is both a passion and an obsession with me and that alone totally changes the entire amps character. Having never owned a THD, there is much to learn. The ability to mix power tubes and get nuts mixing preamp tubes is flat out mesmerizing and I have to get myself educated on what is possible. No matter how many posts or reviews you read, you need to do the work yourself to hear it with your own ears. Even my few tests so far were utterly hypnotic. So many flavors.

I am not seeking to change up or replace my 50/ST; that is the perfect channel switcher for me (and having owned *many* Rivera, *many* Bogner and countless other amps that is saying a LOT); and for my second amp other than my 18watt GDS I wanted something totally different. This thing really fits the bill; I love it and it is a completely new thing for me.

To all,

Thanks guys - I have always wanted a THD and knew when they dropped the Flexi that someday it would indeed be in the stable. I had an open offer to sell my Pittbull 45 112 combo (thanks Jon!) and when this Flexi came up available from another friend, man I had to go with it. The Hotplate is going to happen, just need some $$$ (which is so tight around here you wouldn't believe it). Thanks for the comments and the suggested settings; it is all good!

13. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Congrats, Scott! At Namm I listened as Ed D. put a Flexi through it's paces through both a 2 x 12 and the new 4 x12 THD cabs. He was getting some super tones. Ed ran it through the different power settings, and doing this, and using a Hot Plate the amp was really versatile.

Please post an update when you've spent some more time becoming familiar with it.

14. brent

brent Member

Congrats Scott- it is truly a unique amp and does take a different approach than a lot of other amps

I think the THD 2x12 is a great match with it for versatility, that cab excels at getting the cleaner tones happening and is no slouch for singing solo tones, it also seems warmer to me through the THD than other cabs I have tried. It becomes a bonified rock monster through the new Marshal 2x12 (2061) although it has almost too much low end for that cabinet. I am hoping to check out the THD 4x12 and finally meet Andy and Ed at NAMM.

I use a hotplate on it all the time but I've used a hotplate on everything (I have 4ohm 8ohm and 16ohm versions) since I got my first 12/13 one years ago to record in my apartment and became addicted to working the power tubes.

Lately I have been running it with a Tim and a Timmy in front of it, Tim set for 2 really slight boosts and the Timmy actually set for a cut.

I set the Timmy for slightly less than unity gain and dial back a bit of the highs and when I step on it it cleans the Flexi right up without losing too much volume, but generally I just use the guitars volume knob

15. how are the cleans on it scott?

16. Scott Peterson

Thus far, keeping in mind I have had it two days, they are scaaaaaary good. Lots of touch dynamics; it reacts very fast and depending on the tubes you have it in and how you bias it.... extraordinary range of flavors.

As Yoda would say, "Much to learn I do have."

Stay tuned. :D

17. ooooooooooooooooo this rules.

18. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Hey, have fun with the new amp, Scott! :D

19. JPenn

JPenn Member

Myron you should post a link to that vid you & your buddy did with the Flexi. That shows what a volume knob will get ya with the THD!