Flextone III Question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by gtrlw, Jan 14, 2015.

1. gtrlw

gtrlw Gold Supporting Member

I came across a used Flextone III at a nice price and, while I am 100% happy with my 11R, I am considering picking it up.

I am a bit cautious because of the age of the amp. Do the III's have any known issues I should be aware of? Are there any specific issues I should look for when trying out the amp?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

2. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

How nice is the price? Because the Flextone amps aren't great sounding - really flat, to my ears. I say this as a pretty big Line 6 fan, by the way!

3. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I remember liking my Flextone III and having zero problems.

As to what Beardo said - I haven't played one in so long that I don't really remember what it sounded like. But it was pretty revolutionary for me at the time. I think I was 24 and playing less than 5 years.

4. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Could just be that my Vetta has more punch :D

5. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

I picked one up a while ago for $50 and liked it a lot. The two caveats I remember are that they are notorious for volume loss problems. The circuitry comes loose and is a PITA to fix. Second, it didn't take pedals well. Like, at all.

I loved the Satch setting and a couple others, but was annoyed when it came to editing. If I found one for the same price again I'd snatch it up.

6. gcadiz

gcadiz Member

If the price is that nice, you can always use the Flextone as a power amp for your 11R.

7. gtrlw

Hmm, maybe at $175 the price is not as nice as I thought.

All I need is a passable clean (think Little Wing or Lenny), a nice crunch and a good high gain/lead sound.

I also thought it might make a good power amp and cab for my 11R from reading other posts.

There is also a Vetta for sale locally. Do they sound that much better?

8. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

$175 is a fairly decent price. Is it the 2x12 version?
    The Vetta is more flexible and sounds far better to me, but then they should considering the gulf in original price between the two amps!

9. gtrlw

There is also a Vetta around here with the floorboard for $350. I am just not much of a tweaker and like a simple interface.

10. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

The full-size FBV with two expression pedals? Those things are expensive, even used. Good controllers, built like tanks :) The Vetta interface is a fair bit more complex than the Flextone, but still not exactly hard to use.

11. gtrlw

I don't recall if it was a full-size FBV. I will take a look.

12. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

I'd say if you can use an Eleven Rack, a Vetta will be simple enough for you to grasp - the only real gotcha is when you're setting up dual-amp patches.

13. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

If it's a Vetta 2x12 combo, yes it does sound that much better - and it's also that much heavier! :)

One issue that you may have with the Vetta, and I'm pretty sure with the FIII as well, is that the battery on the main circuit board may have to be replaced - and it's soldered directly to the circuit board. It's not a hard thing to do yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron, otherwise you would have to take it to a repair shop.

If you get the Vetta, see if you can still get Armin's cab sims (I think you can). IMO, that makes the Vetta sound way better.

14. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

They really are bloody heavy :D

15. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I've never owned a III but my buddy's band uses one. The guitarist on the left. I think they sound great for their application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1e5Q3Lev5M

16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

$175 is half a Fender Mustang III v2 with 4-button foot switch....

17. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I have had the 1x12 since they came out. No problems at all. The Matchless is GREAT.
    Like anything it not perfect but it's far from lost in the mix.
    Todd Rungren used one so did Rusty Burns at least I've seen one on stage with him on several occasions.
    The effects at best are fair. Lack od USB is a pain. The truth is I use pedals with mine every gig and it sounds best if you leave some kind of clean boost on all the time. But it's not mandatory.
    Is it my 11 rack, no. It's light and easy to get around. If it comes with a FBV you can midi out into the 11R and change channels. Also turn effects on and off. Except for distortion.
    Like I said, it's not perfect but it's no one trick pony either. It's a great amp.

18. gtrlw

Thanks for the input guys.

What modeling does the III have? Is it pod 2.0, xt . . .?

19. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

XT-ish.

20. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

I have own a Flextone since many many years ago and yes they sound like that at low volumes but if you crank them up they come alive IMO, it helps to use an EQ and Compresor at the FX loop to make it great at low volumes. I have always gotten great complement in tone using it live at high volumes. Its retired now ad its going to be retired but i keep it as a sentimntal piece because it served me well for many years.