Flight Case Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jtbleeker, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jtbleeker

jtbleeker Member

So I just picked up a hot rod deluxe as a replacement for my Blues Jr, and so far I love everything about it except the weight. I was hoping to get a rolling flight case to protect it as well as make transportation a bit easier, but I have no idea where to start looking for flight cases and stuff like that, does anyone have any good websites or sellers that would make something that's worth investing in?

2. boppstar

boppstar Supporting Member

Will you be flying with it? If not, I might suggest a quality hand truck and some padded studio slips covers- flight cases with quality casters do help the rolling aspect of the amp but they add a ton of weight which sucks if you have to go up/down stairs, lift amp into a vehicle, trailer, etc.

If you are certain you want flight cases - there are a lot of quality manufacturers - I would check ebay first, Brady cases are solid, and I am sure you'll get some more recommends here shortly...

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

doesn't gator cases make a rolling amp case with a dolly handle? seemed like it was reasonably priced too since it was some type of reinforced hard plastic and not a plywood style flight case with metal corners.

Bobby D likes this.
  4. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

A true, quality 3/4" ATA flight case will add 25-30ish pounds to the amp and cost $350+. The hand truck and thick cover will be the lightest option. Getting a new 1/4" flight case off of eBay (they are around $100-125) would give you the wheels and 10-15 pound case that is more than enough protection for gigging up to a regional/light duty national level.

Twangmeister likes this.
  6. imaxeman69

imaxeman69 Member

Check Audiopile.net. They may have something that's reasonable.

7. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

Another vote for Mark with Rock Hard Road Cases.

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

9. rybcasasha

rybcasasha Member

I like this type of wheeled flight cases ... you can try slightly bigger and to customize your divisions ;)

10. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

Get a lightweight SKB molded case with wheels. Regular flight cases weigh a ton

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I travel with a band so a road case is a must. Best value (quality to price ratio) I have found is with Safe Case LLC. If you are going to roll the case, you need good casters.
    Case for my Deluxe Reverb was $250 all inclusive, custom built with lifetime warranty.
    It is a better fit than the budget Roadie cases available on eBay. Island Cases, New York Case Co, and one other builder (I don't remember the name) all come from the same shop. They are a pleasure to do business with, but there are upcharges for recessed latches, various caster sizes, and you have to do the final fitting with included foam yourself. So, the case is a little larger than needed.

If you want an actual road case (could be a flight case, but that really rarely happens since there would be baggage fees and any traditional fly gig typically includes a local backline), be willing to invest. Buy right, buy once,

12. mscaggs

mscaggs Member

I just ordered a Safecase for a DR. It was 270 shipped and really nice.

13. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Another vote for Safe Case! Have had one for my Matchless for a few years and it's held up great.