Flight case - Calton equivilant????

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by mingo, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mingo

mingo Member

Hi I'm looking for a flight case for a couple of guitars, I'm a touring musician and know Calton cases are great, but I contacted them and they said they won't have them done for 6 months!!!! I kinda need something a lot sooner than that, can anyone recommend any alternatives that don't take a really long time to be made??

Can't be a ATA flight case that weighs 30lbs. I would like something that's as light as a Calton.

Thanks

2. texasdave

texasdave Member

Dream Guitars and acousticpromusician.com both show Caltons in stocks... others will probably have some, just did a fast search and found those... Eastman makes a Calton looking case that's pretty affordable, but I have not spent any time looking at them or surfed for reviews or whatever... just saw 'em at a couple guitar shows and thought they'd be cool for an alternative to the traditional case... So I know those are around, but I have no commentary on the level of protection.

What size guitars are you looking to case up? If I spot something around I'll jump back in...

3. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Janet Davis Music has some Calton's in stock.

I second the Eastman suggestion...as I have one for my mandolin...and it's a bargain.

Have you looked at Mark Leaf, or Hiscox cases?

4. texasdave

texasdave Member

Mark Leaf had shut down at one point... If they've resurfaced I hadn't heard about it...

5. Beagle1

Beagle1 Member

What kind of guitar is it? If it's a standard size like a dread or an OM/OOO, chances are you can find a Calton by calling around to some of the big stores that specialize in acoustics...Mandolin Bros, Elderly, The Podium, etc. I got an OM size Calton case from Mandolin Bros a while back.

Another option I would seriously recommend checking out is the Case Xtreme:

http://www.casextreme.com/

I know a lot of guys who fly with these and they work great, plus they are a lot cheaper than Calton.

6. mingo

mingo Member

one is an OM, one is a OOO martin, and the other is a 20's martin 0-17.

good idea.. so you think two of the three (not the vintage one) could be found online and would fit?

thanks

7. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Where in Canada are you? Muyhres Music in Edmonton has a few in stock.

8. texasdave

texasdave Member

I noticed last night that Muscian's Friend as what I'm guessing is an Eastman or similar for $99 (Dread size) ... might be worth the trouble to get one and at least look it over... I'm the first guy in the room to say these aren't gonna go head to head with a Calton... but, If you're trying to fly with a $500 guitar you're probably not looking for a $900 case to make it happen... Might be the ticket with a couple of nylon baggage straps around it...

9. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

10. Kyle Frederick

Kyle Frederick Member

I'm looking for a used flight case to protect a Audio Bros. era Hiwatt 4x12 cab. Dimensions: 30 x 30.5 x 14. Primarily for storage, very little traveling; condition relatively unimportant
    Grazie.