Flight

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mikeguy53, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mikeguy53

mikeguy53 Member

If Denzel Washington doesn't win the Oscar for best actor the Oscars will assume the same status as the Grammys. Most incredible acting I've seen in years.

2. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

^^ He's in the golden age of fine acting and picking very good scripts IMO. Flight was very solid and a great film.

My wife went and watched Safehouse..w/o me but she didn't care for it much. Book of Eli is the best acting I've seen from him in years and my fav since Malcolm-X although the subject matter was profoundly heavy in both cases.

3. MOJO

MOJO Member

Haven't seen it yet but I always seem to enjoy Denzel's movies.... Great actor

( for what it worth..it's physically impossible to fly a jet liner upside down like that)

4. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

didnt that actually happen? he flew that plane upside down like that .

5. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Any airplane can fly inverted (save for fuel supply issues), there is nothing aerodynamically that would prevent it from doing so. I haven't seen the movie but if it's for a brief period of time it's entirely possible. The scene from what I understand was based on a real life situation that happened in California some years back with an airliner that had a stuck elevator.

You can barrel roll 'em too.

6. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Training day. Such a bad ass loser in that movie. So good.

7. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

1955. Pilot was Tex Johnson. During a Seattle Gold Cup boating gala. Totally by design. Did it twice. Boeing executives were absolutely livid feeling the test pilot (Tex Johnson) put the future of the Dash 80 in jeopardy had the results turned out for the worse.

8. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Yep, Tex explained it was a 1G maneuver and created no stress on the airframe. The Boeing execs said yeah, but please don't do it again. Tex said he was just "selling airplanes". :aok

9. Weathered

Weathered Supporting Member

Went and saw it last Saturday. Very, very good film IMO. Unflinching in the reflection of what alcoholism can do to a person, but with some moments of very good humor. I enjoyed it a lot.

10. MOJO

MOJO Member

my understanding is that commercail airliners wings are not designed to fly upside
    down for any extended time... don't know if its just that angle in the video but
    to me it looks like the plane loses its lift and drops quite a bit of altitude when it rolls
    over... now if the wing is designed more like fighter jet then yeah it can be done

but i'm not an expert.. just going by what i could find on the net about the subject

11. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

"That's my Denzel! You go, Denzel!"

That was the shouting out-loud I kept hearing while watching "Crimson Tide" in the movie theaters back in the day. True story.

12. Weathered

Weathered Supporting Member

The crash happens in the first 15 minutes of the film. The rest of the movie is not about flying inverted. If you can get past that <grumbling something about "willing suspension of disbelief>, it's a very good movie.

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pretty darn good flick indeed.

14. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Supporting Member

ha, loved that movie! as great as denzel was, i thought gene hackman was even better

15. 1after909

1after909 Member

Cool... Look forward to seeing it...

16. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

So you're never going to see any movie ever again? Technically they're all BS.

17. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Rented it last night. Wow. Robert Zemeckis reminds us that he can make films for grown-ups once in a while. Really, I couldn't care less if the inverted flight scene was accurate or not. This isn't a movie about flying. It is a film about alcoholism and Denzel, once again, knocks it outta the park. The hotel mini-bar scene was as nail-biting as anything out of a horror film. The ending surprised me but once I reflected upon it, it really couldn't have ended any other way.

My only complaint? John Goodman could've been given a little more screen time.

18. sovtekking

sovtekking Member

Just FYI, that's an Aileron roll. Barrel roll is an 'over-the-top' maneuver that involves being inverted 90 degrees off-heading. A lot of people confuse them.

19. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Is it just me or did a lot of replies from this thread get deleted? It had 3 pages this morning and is now back down to 2...

20. doublea

doublea Member

Not happening. Daniel Day-Lewis with his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln will win Best Actor and should.