Flint vs Wet Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Voodoo Blues, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I'm in the market for a nice reverb pedal. Of course the first reverb pedal that comes to mind is the Wet Reverb. How does the reverb side of the Strymon Flint compare to the Wet Reverb? They have the same controls. I'm leaning towards the Flint beacause it also has the Tremolo side. The price of the Flint is less than the cost of buying a Wet and another Trem pedal. The Mr. Black Deluxe Plus sounds great but does is not as tweakable as the Flint. What do you guys think?

2. 7thString

7thString Member

I'm not even a wet fanboy but compared to the flint its a no contest, the wet just sounds a lot deeper and lot more realostic. I have owned both at the same time and the wet won out without any hesitation.

3. scolfax

scolfax Member

I have had both, and I only use a Flint for reverb now. There is nothing better than the Wet for etherial sounds. The Flint can get really close to that in 80's mode with the decay all the way up, but also does loads of other reverb sounds and excellent trem sounds as well.

Both excellent choices.

4. danman

danman Member

I'd rather wait and save up and get two than one that does two thing really well, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I've learned through many attempts I should just go for the tone otherwise I'll waste a lot of money and time and end up exactly where I wantes to be originally.

Also - the wet is incredible at what it does.

5. jw112

jw112 Member

there are many different types of reverbs tones. I prefer the wet. But if you want a 'spring' style of reverb i wouldn't recommend either.

6. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Don't forget that with the Stereo Wet you have the option to load on the pedal shimmer reverb, chorus, or delay. Nice bonus.

I haven't played either IRL, but the Wet always blows me away in demos. I want one for sure.

Might also consider the Hardwire RV-7. I have one and it sounds pretty darn good. It has a number of modes too.

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

My personal reactions:
    T.C. Arena: it's fine but it's just a workhorse that emulates classic reverbs fairly well

Strymon: capable of loads of sounds from subtle to ambient but strymon stuff has always sounded more processed to me not to my personal tastes

WET: gorgeous. I love it but it does not have the versatility of the Arena. It's not going to faithfully reproduce classic reverbs but it does what it does exceptionally well.

8. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

I have the Flint and Echelon loaded with Wet algo and I prefer the Flint.
    Someone else mentioned this on another thread before but the Wet sounds more like the 70's setting on the Flint.

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Both are great, but I don't feel the wet does anything but ambient well. The Flint 80s sound it plenty ambient, but it'll do traditional spring better.

I much prefer the Eventide Space to both, but now you're talking $350ish used.

I think the Flint is more versatile, but the wet sounds better for deeper ambient music.

I would say neither if you want more traditional spring sounds.

10. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I'm not necessarily looking for spring reverb, I use Fender amps (Super Reverb & Vibroverb) so they have onboard reverb & tremolo.

I need something for my P&W board to cover not just ambient but a lot of different textures.

Thanks for the replies so far, please keep them coming.

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

If you already have trem and verb on the amp, I would be tempted to go wet and preset switch for it, depending how much you want to bend over and tweak.

Or just wet if you don't need presets.

I've used them all extensively and the Flint is a jack of all trades master of none pedal. I Had one for versatility, but felt it was a tonal compromise. Reverbs were average and trem was average.

I loved the wet but found it won't do anything but subtle ambience or big time ambience. No plate, spring, etc. But it is a fantastic pedal. I sold mine before he had the preset switches out. I just got tired of needing my laptop on to change to modulated, shimmer, etc.

If you can afford a space, they do everything and then some.

I've been tempted to move my space for a wet and his new switch, actually. For as much as I love the space, I only use it for a few presets I made, and could probably do them on the wet, except for the spring stuff.

The Mr. Black stuff was just ok, for me, no where near the wet tonally, in my opinion.

TC Hall of Fame is no slouch either, a fine pedal, especially for the price used.

12. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've owned both and kept the WET.

The Flint is definitely more flexible. If you want a pedal that can get a few different reverb sounds, then I'd go with the Flint.

Personally, for live gigs, I use only one reverb sound and I love the way the WET sounds, but it only does one thing really.

Funny, when I owned both pedals and A/B'd them at home, I liked the Flint, but when I used them on a gig, I much preferred how the WET sat in the mix.

The other thing I'll mention is that the Flint seemed a bit dull in the top end to me when compared to the WET. I saw Mike Landau this past summer, he had a Flint on his board and I noticed that he had the Color (tone) control all the way up, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it needs a bit of a treble boost.

They really are different sounding pedals. I'd suggest trying them both from places with a good return policy and keep the one you like the best after trying them in your rig.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I had both at the same time and preferred the combo of the Wet and a Suhr Jack Rabbit trem. First and foremost, I found the Wet to sit better in a live mix and the separate pedals easier to incorporate into the signal chain.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  14. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

The thing is that the beauty of the Wet is its particular algorithm and the way it's tuned: basically you have to try it for yourself and see if you love it or not. If you do love it (I do) nothing else on the market is going to sound the same. I actually do find the Wet quite versatile: being able to adjust the decay and the tone is all i need to go from a short roomy reverb to a long hall. I love it.

15. jm9239

jm9239 Member

Had both, preferred and kept the Flint. The infinite 80s is probably my favorite reverb algorithm of all time.

16. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I think the Pete Thorn do just sold me on the Flint.

17. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Owned both. Kept neither. Think i was chasing some "perfect spring verb" sound in my head.

If you are using Fender amps with onboard verb, then i would definitely choose the Wet. Between the Wet and your onboard, you will be all set.

cheers

18. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Because of the 'clarity'? That's just his treble enhancing sound.

19. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

yea, not typically a sure thing to go by youtube vids, they always add a little "recording magic" to make it sound even better, never trust video's over your ears, they will be the best judge.

20. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I wouldn't second guess too much. I cannot image you being unhappy with the Flint and it's doubtful it's worth the time and money to bring in a flint, wet, space, etc.

Its versatility helps.

If you gave me a Flint and said you HAVE to use this, I would say fine and have no problem making music with it. But having them all just allowed me to find which one I liked best.

The 80s mode on the Flint with trem is just gorgeous.

I actually had my space for sale to try another flint, as crazy as that sounds. For as much as I am not a huge Strymon guy, the Flint is fairly small and frees up a power supply slot, so I value that and its versatility over having to lose other effects for space and power supply reasons.