Flipping around a pickup? Upside-down pickup content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RDM, Mar 22, 2008.

1. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I was just watching a DVD where a guy is playing a HH strat with the neck pup upside down. What does doing this accomplish??

2. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

By flipping it, the main pole pieces are little closer to the bridge. Maybe the pickup gets a little brighter. Would probably have a bigger impact flipping the bridge pickup to lower brightness - but again just a bit.

That would be about it though. Electronically, nothing has changed by flipping it.

3. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Wouldn't flipping it put it out of phase with the other pickups?

4. LaXu

LaXu Member

Nope, like WurstBurst said, electronically nothing has changed. I'd also wager that any differences from turning it upside down could be anything, depending on how consistent the two coils are.

5. Zoso

Zoso Member

Nothing may have changed electronically, but something sure as heck changes magnetically.

6. WurstBurst

WurstBurst Member

I don't think he is talking about flipping the magnets. I think he is talking about installing the pickup pointing in the opposite direction.

7. Zoso

Zoso Member

Exactly. If you flip the pickup without flipping the magnet, then the pickups will be out of phase with each other. That's how Peter Green got his tone.

8. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Yes. The Seymour Duncan logo was facing the neck, not the bridge.

Thanks for the info!

9. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

No, that is not correct. The phase relationship has nothing to do with pickup orientation.

In physics, there is a memory device called the "right hand rule." Make your right hand into a fist, leaving the thumb pointing out. Your thumb represents magnetic north, and your fingers represent the direction of current flow with respect to that magnetic field. Notice that your fingers are always pointing in the same direction, relative to your thumb, regardless of how you orient your hand.

This right hand rule is a perfect illustration of a pickup. If two pickup are wired in phase, they will be in phase with each other regardless of how the pickups are mounted.

Peter Green's neck pickup was mounted backwards, but that did not give him the out of phase sound. His neck pickup's magnet was also flipped.

10. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

It only changes the pole heights, right? (assuming they weren't symmetric) .....since the coil is wrapped around the whole pickup.

11. LarryN

LarryN Member

Whichever coil is closest to the string will emphasize the particular frequencies at that point. The phase is not affected, like Jim Collins said. Many times I've flipped a Gibson style humbucker when used in a Tele neck position, since it usually sounds too muddy to me. The 25 1/2" scale length affects the tone differently than a guitar with 24 3/4' scale in the neck positon, especially. I've never tried it in a Strat, but I definitely like it better in a Tele. You could lower the neck coil polepiece screws to see if you like it better with the rear coil closer and fully reverse it later, since I think it would emphasize the difference more if the screws were closer to the bridge.