Flitertrons/TV Jones in Hollowbody?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by palomorado, Oct 24, 2005.

1. palomorado

palomorado Member

So my "special-lady-friend" bought me the DAVID GILMOUR in concert DVD awhile back and i dug it up a week or so ago and i just can't get over how amazingly cool his Gretsch Duo Jet sounds!!!

I've never given Gretsch's the time of day but this lead sound is by far one of the coolest i've ever heard.

curious if anyone has experience with these pups or if they have tried any humbucker sized flitertrons in their axes...been thinking about putting a pair in my PRS HBI.

2. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Supporting Member

I have a set of TV's Classic 'Trons in a Gretsch 6120-JR (slightly smaller body than a standard 6120) that I love. It was like taking the blanket off the guitar once those went into it. Great stuff, and he's making various models now. Check out his website for more info: www.tvjones.com

3. threm

threm Member

A little on the side -

Are there anyone who makes humbucker sized Dynasonic pu`s a like TVJones does with the Filterton/TV`Tron ?

Another Q

Can pickups age in a bad way?
    I have an old Gretsch Roundup with original blade Filtertrons (like the TVJones` Super'Tron).
    I find the pickups sound somewhat muddy/muffled. I believe Dynasonics would be more to my taste. I have a DeArmond M75T with the 2K single coils that I like a lot.

4. barewires

barewires Member

this might get confusing ... :crazy

as far as i know, tvjones doesn't make dynasonic-pu's. not in regular, not in humbucker-housing.

he does make filtertrons, that would be the 'tv-classic'.
    those are available in humbucker-size too, the 'tv-trons'. but he uses that name for any pu in humbucker-housing, except the p90-version!
    my ol' ibanez howard roberts is 'gretschified' with tv-tron-humbucker-sized tv-classics.

then there's the dearmond mystery. afaik there are three types:

200 or dynasonics, only available on higher end Gretsches (not 100% sure about that ...),
    - i have these on my Gretsch 6120dsv and i love 'm ... the ultimate!

2000, sort of 'dynasonic-light', same 'feel', not as 'thick',
    - had 'm on a Gretsch electromatic 5129 and was never really statisfied ...

2k, sort of marriage between dyna's and p90, according to the designer.
    - had 'm in a dearmond starfire special, but a little too muddy in that guitar for my taste ... then again, i'm 'gassing' for a m77t in a shop nearby ...

it's a pity those three different dearmond-pu's look alike ... but there's definately three flavours!

btw: much info on the gretschpages ...!

5. barewires

barewires Member

... that's what you get when searching the archives ...

6. threm

threm Member

Cool - thanks for posting!

The pu`s in my Roundup are the original Gretsch Supertrons (used from 1964-1980). I believe I`d like Dynasonics better in this guitar.
    I have a M75T with the 2K pu`s which I think are fine.

This site has the Dynasonics and other Gretsch parts but only standard sized pu`s.
    http://www.guitar-parts.com/product_pics/824b.jpg

The only TV Jones` single coil seems to be the TV-HT1
    "first generation TV-HT1 single coil pickup is designed to fit into a traditional Filter'Tron™ cavity

An improved replica of the vintage HiLo'Tron™ single coil pickup, the TV-HT1 is designed to produce twangy bass and crisp, high trebles. To make this possible, the TV-HT1 uses one TV Classic bobbin, but wound with thinner magnet wire. Large #8 slotted set screws are used for the pole screws."

On the other hand this guy writes about the Hi-Lo Trons
    "So the original FilterTrons or the new "Fender-Gretsch" FilterTrons (not the Hi-Lo Trons which most people, including me, think sounds too thin) or the TV Jones FilterTrons are also great pickups for rockabilly, but the standard 90s Gretsch FilterTrons are a little tame. They ARE usable nonetheless."
    http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm los of gear info

For anyone interested in Gretsch pu`s
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/resources/definitions.html
    http://gretschpages.com/guitars/pickups/

Any idea on how to put some Dynasonics into a Gretsch that`s slotted for Filtertrons?

7. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I put a set of TV Trons in my Duo Glide and really dig 'em. So many great tones just from using the volume knob. For me, the perfect blend of sparkle, warmth and clarity.

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

9. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have a pair in my semi-hollow Strat and can't say enough good things about them.

10. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I put a pair of TV classics in my PRS hollowbody II. It gave that guitar so much more tonal variety. Very sweet, a really good match. That was about four years ago. Something caught my eye and I sold it. You know how it goes.

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Member

Dynasonics rule. They look funky but they soound amazing. My 6120DSW is my #1 guitar.

Mike