• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Floor Wedges for Guitar

Would you use a floor wedge for guitar?

• Yes, interesting idea

• No, not for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

glaswerks

Several years ago I built a pair of these guitar montors for a local player who was using a stereo setup.

I am curious if others ever used, use of considered something along these lines. Trying to determne if I should offer them again.

Thanks

Last edited:

thegame

I regret selling a Mesa 2x12 Recto wedge cabinet. Worked incredibly well in jam situations. Although I like V30s, having 2 of them blasting you directly in the face can get tiresome after awhile :crazyguy

V30s = great 4x12 speaker.
I'd go for a softer/smoother speaker for guitar monitor applications.

Smakutus

Several years ago I built a pair of these guitar montors for a local player who was using a stereo setup.

I am curious if other ever used, use of considered something laong these lines. Trying to determne if I should offer them again.

Thanks

Why not design a cab that could either sit tilted back or sit up straight like a regular cab?

Jeff

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
I did this and it had good a bad parts.

Good: Could monitor and mic from cab without blasting audience. Allowed me to be louder if I wanted and softer if I needed and still do what I needed. Didn't bleed over into FOH in bigger rooms. Drummer could hear me better.

Bad: Sounded different than usual cabs I liked and never really binded with tone. When not miking and running to FOH through PA, it wasn't as easy to get room coverage as with normal cabs. Missed being able to put head on cab (though thta was better for tube life...being isolated from cab vibration).

A better sounding version that could be used as wedge or "standard" cab would be interesting to try.

DS

rhythmrocker

1966 Battle of the Bands
Gold Supporting Member
:D
Why not design a cab that could either sit tilted back or sit up straight like a regular cab?

Jeff
GK did this with their backline series for bass guitars - why not for lead and rhythm geetars?

glaswerks

In the case of the ones that I built, they were place on either side of the guitarists mic stand and pointing away from the crowd. He then mic'd each cab with an SM 57.

glaswerks

:D

GK did this with their backline series for bass guitars - why not for lead and rhythm geetars?
The GK 400 with 2 10''s is a kick butt bass rig for small clubs. My small club bass rig is a (don't laugh) Ashdown Ellectric Blue 130 with single 12".

YellowLesPaul

I used to use a 2X10 wedge in addition to my 4x12 so I could hear my self on stage, (we were loud) That cab was stolen. However it was effective when I had it.

I am looking to either build or buy a 2x12 wedge for the cover band I play with. My goal is to eliminate the sound person saying, "are you going to play at that volume?"

My big requirement is that it have 'tone'. I have a vertical 2x12 that does not have tone and a Boogie 2x12 that does have have tone but is 1/2 open back.

Robert Rowe

Peavey had one ... was called a Session 400 Special (I think). Steelers used 'em. I tried one (with guitar) ... awesome! :JAM

glaswerks

Peavey had one ... was called a Session 400 Special (I think). Steelers used 'em. I tried one (with guitar) ... awesome! :JAM
I remember those. The Session 400 and 500's were the mainstay for pedal steelers for many years. If memory serves me correcly Peavey also (back in the 80's) made a version of the Special 130 that was in monitor form.

Lance

I keep a JBL E-120 in a Cabaret floor slant, and love it. I can use it in a few different ways, and if I want it upright, I can just put it on it's side. It's meant to have a lot of throw, so it does lack bottom end, and has stuffing inside of it. But, that's really the point with these, to not have a lot of low end. I cut better than I ever have in the past with open backed combos, and am not always stepping on the bass player's frequency turf. Which got to be a problem with a bigger band, being a 5, and some times a 6 piece. I do think that, (and this was in another thread a couple of days ago) that players are becoming more & more aware of how FOH should sound, and trying to play at lower volumes. These are totally ideal for that, and I think if you build more of them, you'll get rid of them just fine. Do you get much of the Phoenix market, in Mesa? I hear there are a lot of older metal players around there, these days. If you could just get a few of those guys to let go of those 4 x 12 cabs, and try these, I would imagine they would discover how much more practical they can be.

Vote YES on Proposition Slant!

Whew, sure am glad I won't have to see any more election commercials for a while!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Ampeg BXT210M bass cab and Traynor K4 keyboard amp, both are tilt back monitor type designs. The few things I don't like about the Bass cab is I can't set my head on top of it when I use it in monitor mode and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my ampeg 410 cab. I did a gig with it and I actually had it behind me blasting my ears from the back.

So I am open to the monitor guitar cab. I used to use 2 112's with my Orange Rockerverb 50, the amp set on one and the other I had next to my pedal board facing up at me. It worked pretty well for practice, the band could hear the 112 under the amp and I could hear the monitor cab....