Floorboard modellers with amp switching relays?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Turbo Gerbil, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

are there any? I'd like a floorboard that could be taken out on it's own to coffee shop gigs, but could work as an effect unit ( 4 cable preferred ) for my Boogie when I take an actual amp. I know some have midi out and I could use the amp gizmo, but I'd like to avoid buying an extra piece. For this particular application, all the modellers out there sound "good enough". I can find things like G system, which have effects and amp switching, but no modelling, and most of the high end floorboard units can go 4 cable but don't have switching relays.

Another option would be an effect unit with it's own loop for external pedals where I could put a tech21 character pedal or something in there.

2. chrishurley

chrishurley Supporting Member

I think the Digitech RP1000 can do amp switching, can't it?

3. manatarms

manatarms Member

The Boss GT units can switch an amp. The GT-100 should be out in March and it has it (but so does the GT-6, GT-8, and GT-10).

4. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

ok cool, somehow I missed the Boss units in my search.

The RP1000 has effects and amp loops, but I don't see an amp switcher out.

5. shasha

shasha Member

If it's got a MIDI output I believe that you could get a box that will convert the MIDI to a switched output (or even multiple switched outputs). I'd check MIDI solutions since they seem to have covered just about anything I've ever been able to dream up.

And my reason for suggesting that is that I wouldn't want to be cornered into a purchase based on one feature if there was something that covered all the other stuff better.

6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

GT10 will. RP 1000 wont and has no MIDI.
    Amp Gizmo will switch with any unit that DOES have MIDI.

7. drwiddly

drwiddly Member

You could get a rack unit - e.g. a GSP1101 and switch it using midi from a Behringer FCB1010. The GSP will connect to your amp via 4CM and the FCB has 2 configurable relay switches to change your amp channels.

I use my GSP that way with a tube combo as a grab and go / small gig rig and it works great. Also gives me the choice of models through the combo's power amp or using the combo's preamp with the GSP's effects.

8. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Hm... I didn't realize the FCB had amp channel relays. Interesting. I've been thinking of going the GSP1101 route for another project. Does the Behringer still need a rom change to work in "pedalboard" mode?

9. shasha

shasha Member

It makes it easier, there are ways to work around it, but the Uno chip is easy to put in and not that expensive. Being able to use it with Ripwerx to program it makes it worth the price of admission IMHO.