1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

FLORENCE 1176 Optical Compressor - Cicognani engineering

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by cicognani engineering, Jul 21, 2020.

1. cicognani engineering

cicognani engineering Member

FLORENCE 1176
    Optical Compressor

- The History Series -

[​IMG]

FLORENCE is inspired by 1176, one of the most famous studio compressors of the 60s; we have redesigned and evolved to offer surprising sounds and characteristics combined with compact dimensions. Florence is fully analog, equipped with a 12AU7 tube which guarantees one sound with a lot of headroom. The compressor is equipped with optocoupler controlled by a special stage that allows the functionality of: Compressor, Limiter and Sustainer.

FLORENCE 1176
    is designed and hand-builted in Italy with the top quality components.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  2. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Seems odd to call it 1176 since it was fet and the la2a was opto.

3. cicognani engineering

You are right. I thought of 1176 as the checking process stage is very similar. Today the new generations of optocouplers offers better performances. It's possible to work about 50/80ms. However, the technology of historical 1176 isn't totally FET but FET combined with transistors.

Florence uses the tube in the first and last stage as 1176 uses fet in the first and last stage. The other stages are equipped with transistor/JFET and offer very similar characteristics.

My idea is, as always, not to propose a product that already exists but to redesign it. I try to offer best performance and a good sound combined with compact dimensions.

I'm available for further clarifications.

4. cicognani engineering

5. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Looks great!
    What’s US cost?

cicognani engineering likes this.
  6. cicognani engineering

Hi! Sorry for the late reply.
    You can contact our US distributor directly. The company is Godlyke Distributing

https://godlyke.com/collections/cicognani

7. cicognani engineering

Past and Present:
    Portaflex B18 64' + Florence 1176 Tube Optical Compressor

Alex Crini (CELEB CAR CRASH bass player) perform some take with FLORENCE 1176 and Portaflex B18 64'