florida tone fest 05

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Frank Thorogood, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Anyone go? Anything interesting and new?

Thanks

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The Heritage Colonial rocked.

The Constellation redeemed itself after the poor showing two years ago (if Tommy's and Tomo's grins were any indication)

Train 45 was tres cool. Liked the Fuchs ODS50 quite a bit clean, and pushed, but it was a tad too compressed for me in highest gain settings...

One frustrating aspect is that there were so many amps I wanted to try out, but with 6 people BLASTING at once, you'd never get anything meaningful from a demo :(

3. That sounds like it was a good time. Was Blockhead there and how about DST?

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

No Blockhead, but the DST UV6 (????) was great. Barry was getting great cleans, and boosted it was killer.

Also really liked the Valvetech 50.... with the gain real high, it was too compressed, but it did a convincing ACDC tone.

5. ghost

ghost Guest

Was that Constellation factory fresh?

6. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    Yeah the volume was a bit out of hand,but most of the amps there were vintage style stuff that really had to be cranked to get the amps natural overdrive going.
    But, like I have stated before, all the gear took a back seat to Tomo's playing and style.
    I had never heard a guitar played like that before. Thanks to Andy Fuchs for sending this guy over. It was kinda cool being in the presence of a true guitar genius.
    Thanks to pastor Nick for letting me barrow his tool kit to get that 25 watt amp up to spec before we turned it loose,and for putting the whole deal on. And for me personally to Rick Benegbi for inviting me down,getting me and the Mrs a cool hotel, right on clear water beach !!! Dobie LOVED it. Wish we would have had more time to hang out.
    Lots of cool people. Got to talk amp design and HAM radio, what more could one ask of a single weekend????
    Rob

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I smell troll ..... "ghost"

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

bump.

Come on people, anyone else have any comments on three-day tone extravaganza?

I guess without rankings anymore, no one has anything to bitch about?? ;)

9. Boomer

Boomer Member

I was just awed by the talent and electronics in the room. It was great to put faces to monikers and and hear and see things that may never be seen in the real world again ... except at the next ToneFest.

I sort of went to ToneFest with the hopes of selling the Train 45 and keeping the Lucky 7, using the Train money to buy a nice little bass rig. After hearing you guys through the Train and finally playing it when I got home, it's a keeper. Unfortunately, I feel the need for a Basketweave 4x12 and a roadie now. :mad:

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I wanted to hear your Lucky 7 .... didn't get a chance. The Train 45 was really nice!

What I overheard of someone playing the Amethyst Special sounded very sweet too ....

11. Boomer

Boomer Member

They demoed the L7 on Friday but I guess there just wasn't time to do it again Satuday. Next time, take an extra day off and make it on Friday! :D

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

What's the L7's schtick??? Any similarities to the Train 45?

13. Boomer

Boomer Member

I think it's really Andy's answer to a Carman Ghia with an EL34. Very cool little amp that can probably hang with a small band, Lots of clean before it crunches up. Haven't tried it yet with a 6V6 in it. It also only weighs ten pounds and would be great for the studio or practice too.

14. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Man, this Tone Fest just keeps getting better and better every year!

Loved Paul Cochrane's Heritage amp!

Had a blast playing through each of Tommy's "Wall of Doom" Marshalls as he sat at the controls tweaking each to perfection.

I'm really more into old school classic rock to 80's metal, so it was nice to see a few more high gainers at this years Fest.
    Besides my Cameron modded JMP, some of my favorites were a Suhr OD100, a Soldano SLO with a Suhr 3+SE mod, a Peters JP-50, and lets not forget all the great vintage Marshalls from Tommy and Patrick (Loved your R9 Tommy!)

Just wanted to give a special thanks to Nick for hosting this event, and to all my Gear Page friends who made this such an awesome fest :dude

15. juicyproducer

juicyproducer Supporting Member

Definitely a Great ToneFest, with such a cool collection of new and Vintage amps!!

Here's my short list for ToneFest '05-

Overall Personal Favorite for my style-

The Heritage that Tommy brought down. The most accurate correct sounding amp when it comes to nailing those Classic must Have Tones from Tweed to Plexi and more. Great punchy cleans and sparkle, plus lots of chunk and bark. It should, this thing is putting out 470 Volts!!

And a VERY Close Second-

The ValveTech Original 50. The Best Clean at the show IMHO, plus great Rhythm Crunch and Lead Boost. This amp goes from glassy, big bottom Clean to endless Liquid sustain ala Gary Moore "Still got the Blues". I own 3 of these amps so you may think I am biased, but my amp builder says I am biased correctly!!!

Honorable Mention in No Order-

The Wallace JTM45 Plexi-Guess what? I'm playing it right now and I think it mine baby!
    The DST UV6-wow
    The DC Plexi 18/20- nails it
    All the Fuchs stuff- Tomo or no Tomo!!
    The London 65- Rocked!!
    Bob Burt cabs-huge sounding!
    Peters JP50- a truly great design
    Orange Marshall by Ethan Walker-best JCM800 tone except for Dominicks JMP FlameThrower!! Great MoJo cab, too!!

On a side Note-

All of Nick, Scott, Tommy, and Patrick's amps were SOOOOOO BAD that I think they should give them to me!! Ha!!
    You guys always Rock!!!

16. scottl

scottl Member

Is 470 volts not the norm?? The Fuchs puts that out fwiw.

Just nit picking on ya... ;)

17. JTM100

JTM100 Member

From my understanding, 470 volts is on the high side for a 50w. That is getting into the low side of 100w Marshall range. Oddly enough, the Heritage and the Fuchs OD50 were my 2 favorite amps this year. Maybe they are onto something!

18. ghost

ghost Guest

Not a troll
    You stated that the Constellation redeemed itself from a few years back and I was wondering what made the grade thats all.

Theres a EF86 rectified one floating around and curiosity being what it is its a solid question.
    No agenda here.

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

ok, then i still have no idea what you were asking? :D

mine is a proto built for ken fischer........ owned by a couple gear pagers b4 me

20. ghost

ghost Guest

I was asking if it was a stock Constellation
    thats all.

Obviously it didnt shake the earth because you and I are the only ones talking about it!