• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Flower Pedals - Hosta (auto-wah filter)

I got this thing not really knowing if I'd like it. I've never been a huge fan of auto-wah pedals. Probably because my playing doesn't get along with it. Anyways, I was pretty blown away by this thing. Flower Pedals makes a lot of cool stuff. It's all analogue with digital controls. There's ramping functions, tap tempo, exp/cv control (my favorite). The choices you have for filtering are pretty impressive. I made this video in hopes of using an auto-wah in "my own way". Oh! Another really cool thing about this (and his tremolo) is that you can select 4 different waveforms... BUUUUT also blend them together, which is neat. It's a cool pedal and a really solid design.

Glitch Magnet

Their Dandelion tremolo is outstanding. After years considering all the available replacements for my trusty VooDoo Lab, I finally jumped on the Dandelion for its vast feature set.

The clincher was the continuously variable waveform knob. Very few pedals offer this. Only trems that I know of, other than this, are the VooDoo and Boss. The ability to dial in a softer square wave is crucial to me.

Their Dandelion tremolo is outstanding. After years considering all the available replacements for my trusty VooDoo Lab, I finally jumped on the Dandelion for its vast feature set.

The clincher was the continuously variable waveform knob. Very few pedals offer this. Only trems that I know of, other than this, are the VooDoo and Boss. The ability to dial in a softer square wave is crucial to me.
No doubt. That's one of the coolest features of the waveform selector.

3waytie4last

Unfluencer
Platinum Supporting Member
I just got one of these. Need to spend more time with it, but yeah, it's a good one with lots of settings and variations.

CRWolf

Gold Supporting Member
Hadn't heard of then before, but both this and the tremolo seem really cool. Would love to hear more from anyone with experience.

Zooey

I just got one as well. The basic fixed wah sound before you even get to the LFO or envelope circuit is the best I have heard in any pedal of this type, and I own a bunch. The only thing I wish it had was a blend control, though the gain control is really useful. Flower should consider making a fixed-only (with expression pedal control) version at a cheaper price, because it would be the best sounding fixed wah on the market.

The LFO is cool. It's currently in ramp mode, but I'm going to set it to tap tempo. It would make a creative substitute for a phaser, but I am not a wakka wakka kind of wah player, so I probably won't use it all that much.

The envelope detector is solid once you get it dialed in. I have it set for a nasty fix wah sound that gives just a bit a movement when you pick hard. This will probably be how I use it the most. I also intend to set up the fixed wah to momentarily sweep upwards at the slowest possible speed when I hold down the switch.

It's a really cool and creative pedal. I was put off by the price, but Flower had a short sale on Reverb that resulted in the new price falling to well below used, so I jumped on it.

edit:

One tiny complaint: this has top-mounted jacks that are not only unusually close together, but the power adapter jack is sandwiched right between them. It's incompatible with my pancake connector patch cables, which is probably why you don't see that kind of cable in use in any of Flower's demos.

Last edited:

ShonRomeoBey

Going to grab one of these soon, I have the Dandelion and love it. I'm interested in this company as a whole as I like where their heads are at with the modulation offerings. Their newest release is a dual boost and I'm covered there so we'll have to see what comes out down the line. I don't see too much mentioned about Flower and they're relative newcomers, but a top-tier reverb in this size with the same layout could really put them in the conversation for a lot of people, especially around here.

Great aesthetics as well, whatever that's worth. It's a nice middle ground between pure utility/hobby box-style enclosures and the Walrus/Matthews type of approach. They're not cheap but they're pretty feature-laden, especially in this footprint.

Trending Topics