Floyd Fans: Pompeii

Tone_Boss

Looks like Pompeii might be remixed in 5.1 which I never thought would be possible. Wow, I hope they pull it off.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/pompeii-and-circumstance-adrian-maben-and-pink-floyd.html

"We are at a crucial point because we'd like to mix the sound in 5.1, complete the restoration"

"I sincerely hope that this will be possible by the end of the year, or in 2015 at the latest. For the new audio mix Nick Mason suggested that we should work with the Floyd's sound engineer, Andy Jackson."

JCM 800

Wow! I can't imagine how amazing those songs would sound in 5.1

I love the Floyd Pompeii stuff. Great pre DSOTM Floyd. The way they jam and improvise in those days is some of my favorite music. I would be happy with just Echoes alone! One of my favorite PF songs. That "ping" at the beginning of Echoes swirling around you.... priceless.

sixty2strat

Really could care less, it a live show with great sound for the period and it still sounds great.

Dig out the Filmour West show from 70. fix it up and release it.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
One of my favorite DVDs. A 5.1 remix would be amazing.

And darkstriker is right - Steven Wilson would be the perfect guy for the job.

Tone_Boss

I wish I knew of this last week actually, I was at the Princeton Floyd Conference and I could have asked Guthrie about it. DSOTM and WYWH sounded incredible in 5.1 on the ATC monitors, can't imagine how awesome Pompeii would sound.

slogger

I watched Pink Floyd at Pompeii when I was 14. It changed my life. Thank You Pink Floyd! Can't wait to hear this.

Tone_Boss

I've *never* seen or heard it. I wish they'd have released it on CD or something. To find it used, it was always super expensive.
Yeah I don't think its ever been released on just CD, only vhs and DVD. Hopefully they release it on Blue Ray/DVD and a separate SACD/Hybrid this time around. There seems to be some strange rights to it that Universal has which probably complicates things as mentioned in the article.

cob666

This was one of the first 'movies' I got when my father bought an RCA VideoDisc player. This was shortly after the release of 'The Wall' and the only two Floyd records I owned were 'The Wall' and 'Wish You Were Here'. The contrast between Pompeii and the two records I owned was impressive.

The version of 'Echos' on LAP is IMO superior to the version on Meddle.

LPSlinger

I think Pompeii would be awesome in 5.1 and I'd be excited to hear it. But to me the most interesting thing from that article is the "Chit Chat with the Oysters" documentary. I'd love to see some more video footage with the members of Pink Floyd from the Meddle/Dark Side of the Moon era. I've always really liked the little bit of footage that is interspersed into Live at Pompeii.

I think another reissue would be really cool...on Bluray this time with the original unedited (no stupid CGI space graphics) version of Live In Pompeii and the "Chit Chat with the Oysters" footage.

65DuoSonic

I think another reissue would be really cool...on Bluray this time with the original unedited (no stupid CGI space graphics) version of Live In Pompeii and the "Chit Chat with the Oysters" footage.
Agreed. I could have done without the "directors cut." Thank goodness the original version was on the dvd as well - just took a minute to locate it in the extras. A BluRay with various audio mixes, including a new 5.1 mix, would be really great.

Steven Wilson is the guy from Porcupine Tree and his solo band who has been doing 5.1 remasters of his own band's material, remasters from EL&P, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and more. He seems to be the mastering guy for the prog generation.

JCM 800

The version of 'Echos' on LAP is IMO superior to the version on Meddle.
I agree. It's a song that just doesn't work as well as a recorded studio version.

I think the Gilmour Live in Gdansk version is great as well. The back and forth solos between guitar and the Hammond are awesome. Gilmour's lead tone is FAT.

Occam

Gold Supporting Member
When I went to Pompeii a few years back I left out tour just so I could see the spot where they played. It's a lot more green from shrubs but still the same old place and very cool.

Trending Topics